Connect with us

Leagues: EPL

Great Britain vs South Korea, Olympic Soccer: Open Thread

Team GB faces a massive match today when they play South Korea in the Olympic men’s soccer tournament. A win and Team GB will be in the semi-final. A loss, and they’ll make the short trip home.

You could argue that Team GB has exceeded expectations thus far. With manager Stuart Pearce in charge, everyone expected a dire tournament especially after the way Team GB played so poorly against Brazil in the pre-tournament friendly. But I’d argue that it’s been the Team GB players who have lifted this side rather than anything in particular that Pearce has done. The former Manchester City manager is merely a spectator.

That may sound harsh, but I’d like to see Pearce having to make a critical decision today to see whether he has what it takes to be a manager at this level. Against a very tough South Korea side, we may see that happening today.

For viewers in the United States, the match will be shown live on MSNBC, NBC’s soccer channel, NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Live Extra app.

By now, you know the drill. Before, during and after today’s game, post your rants, raves, questions and observations in the comments section below.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
  • Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
  • Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more

40 Comments

40 Comments

1. FantasyYirma

August 5, 2012 at 6:08 am

Disappointed to see team GB out last night. Thought Bellamy should have taken the penalties during the match. Fair play to Ramsey for stepping up. He has received a lot of back lash from a section of Arsenal fans over the past season, but at the end of the day he still has the guts to step up. Still have high hopes for Ramsey.

2. Geroge

August 5, 2012 at 2:50 am

I definitely agree with XDXD. it is a great shame for GB to have home advantage and bribed columbian referee and still lost. How could a referee be so blind for the first penalty kick call unless he was bribed. GB should have won the game with their talent. However, the way GB players played winning was not an option. Shame on GB.

3. XDXD

August 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm

MAN.
    GB LOST EVEN HAVING HOME ADVANTAGE + BIASED VIEWS BY BRIBED COLOOOMBie referee.

GB should have won easily under those circumstances.
    really shame.

4. James

August 4, 2012 at 7:44 pm

If Brazil play like they did today against Honduras then I can see an all Asian final. Still see Brazil beating Korea but you never know.

5. Matt

August 4, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I agree with Gaffer, I can’t comment on England as I wish them nothing but the worst, but Japan’s player development and their style of football is miles ahead of the USA right now. USA is currently relying on German-born players at the moment

6. David

August 4, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Too bad for Team GB, but congratulations to South Korea. I felt that after a poor start we got back in the game and were in with a chance. England vs Italy this was not. I had no greater delusions than a possible bronze medal. I seem to be in a minority but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching the GB men’s and women’s football, and am sad that it’s unlikely to happen again. I would have loved some Scottish and Northern Irish participation, a fit Bale, and the availability of some of the England Euro squad. I can’t for the life of me figure out why Ramsey took the second penalty during normal time after such a tame first kick. And Sturridge’s hesitation was the kiss of death. The other nine penalties were well taken.

7. L)

August 4, 2012 at 6:06 pm

South Korea won!!
    I will never forget Ki and Koo

• The Gaffer

August 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Congratulations on a well-deserved win. I’m a lot more optimistic about Asia’s future as a soccer power than I am about England and USA.

8. Michael

August 4, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Penalties are a joke to decide a match. A penalty is awarded for an infringement, a punishment if you like for a wrongdoing. If FIFA insist this is correct way to decide a match, it would be better if they are taken before the match starts, but only used if the game ends in a draw, giving extra incentive not to play for a draw.

9. Andyb

August 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm

YESSSS! Go Korea!!! I’ll be cheering you on in the bronze medal match with my Korean flag!!

No more team gb football team in the future now, please.

• Rap

August 4, 2012 at 5:50 pm

You mean in the gold medal game

• Andyb

August 4, 2012 at 6:01 pm

No, I mean the bronze medal match.

10. dust

August 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Nothing can fix that curse other than not letting it get to penalties.

11. Michael

August 4, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I now have devised a cure for the English when it comes to penalties…have Welsh players take them.

• dust

August 4, 2012 at 5:28 pm

what? lol Ramsey missed a penalty in regulation so instead of going up 2 -1 they stayed at 1-1

12. James

August 4, 2012 at 5:19 pm

The Koreans sure know how to take penalties. Butland never got close to saving any of them.

Sturridge is a good player but he is very selfish and doesn’t like passing to teammates even if they are in a better position. And missing the penalty was just terrible with that stupid stutter step.

13. Fairchild

August 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Is it just the crummy feed in the live extra app or was jack butlands tongue blue?

• The Gaffer

August 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Nope, you’re correct. Did he eat some blue sweets or something before going into the penalty kicks? Butland used the same tactics that Hart did, with the demon stare and tongue hanging out. It didn’t work for either man.

Nevertheless, I was impressed overall with Butland’s performances during this tournament.

• Fairchild

August 4, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I can see the genius in it. Any little thing could throw off a penalty taker in that environment, but it seems these guys are just too good. Didn’t some guy pull his pants down at the Euros during a shoot out and fail?

My guess is that he used one of those painted lollipop candies.

14. The Gaffer

August 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I hate stutter steps.

15. Matt

August 4, 2012 at 4:25 pm

“on frame” is American for getting a shot on target

• The Gaffer

August 4, 2012 at 4:50 pm

It’s a pet peeve of mine too. I hate it. Both Kyle Martino and Taylor Twellman say it all the time.

Not only does it sound stupid, but it doesn’t make sense. A frame of a goal would be the posts and crossbar, so if someone is hitting it “on frame,” it’s not going on goal.

It seems to be something that comes from MLS, as far as I can tell. I hate it.

16. Paul

August 4, 2012 at 4:04 pm

This guy stays with the clichés with his commentary. Saying Sordell would provide better options as he is a “traditional” centre-forward. He obviously hasn’t watched Sordell play for the U21.

And WTF is “being on frame”? who says that. If you say something and you know it is corny, why repeat it over and over again?

17. Michael

August 4, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Bellamy or Giggs if (more like when) he’s brought on would be my top 2 choices.

18. Michael

August 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I think someone else many want to take the next penalty…

• The Gaffer

August 4, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Hopefully Craig Bellamy.

• Andrei

August 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm

This is very interesting point. Given how soft the second penalty call was there will be that next penalty for team GB in this game.

19. The Gaffer

August 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Two poorly taken penalties by Ramsey. He was lucky the first one went in.

20. Michael

August 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’ll take it! Ramsey just squeaked that penalty in there.

21. jtm371

August 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm

the pitch looks to be in awful shape lots of divots.

22. The Gaffer

August 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Now it’s going to get interesting. Well-taken goal by South Korea.

23. Michael

August 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Why was Jack Butland trying to punch that shot? He should have just palmed it away but in general GB have been so flat and uninspired out there so far, Have to step their game up now

24. James

August 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Giggs is on the bench for this game. GB should have enough to beat S. Korea easily and setup a date with Brazil on Tuesday.

• Thomas

August 5, 2012 at 2:40 am

Now thats a shame.
      Even with Giggs, GB didnt have enough to overcome S. Korea. Not to emphasise the ‘easily’
      Feel sorry for you

25. Spinoza

August 4, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Supercilious of us to think that the win is “guaranteed.” This happens in every tournament for England—I am fully aware that this is TEAM GB, but they are after all cut from the same thread—and we go out in the semis or in the quarterfinals.

When Stuart Pierce was asked by a journalist who will SK’s major threats, he answered: “I don’t know much about their players but they’re good players and we’ll try our best to win.” This is his attitude, and the attitude of the players.