The big buzz for Red Bulls fans has been Tim Cahill transferring over from Everton in the English Premier League to the Red Bulls. Even though he is only a P1 Visa & ITC card away from officially suiting up, Cahill will hopefully play down in Houston in his first league action.
So without Cahill the Red Bulls traveled up to Canada in the French-speaking province of Quebec and took on the Montreal Impact in their first league meeting at Stade Saputo as their last visit was inside the Olympic Stadium just behind the north end of the Montreal Ultras.
Just as the Red Bulls made a big splash in the summer transfer window, so did the Impact as they brought over from Italy Alessandro Nesta formerly of AC Milan and Marco DiVaio from Bologna. But for DiVaio he has been with the Impact for eight games without a goal, until the Red Bulls came.
Three minutes into the start of the second half it was terrible communication between Jan Gunnar Solli and Markus Holgersson. Solli left DiVaio and allowed him to get into position to receive the ball from Justin Mapp inside the area and he beats Bill Gaudette for the his first in MLS.
All first half the Impact was caught offside many times and while the frustration showed they kept plugging away. This time in the 50th minute the near side assistant kept his flag down and the right call to allow Davy Arnaud to charge the goal as he converts to make it two goals to nil.
But the Red Bulls were able to pull one back and once again it would be Thierry Henry who isn’t afraid to try anything when a goal needs to be scored did so in the 57th minute as he was one on one with Donovan Ricketts and got his 11th of the season.
A good pass from Roy Miller finds Joel Lindpere attacking the Montreal area. A nice cross to Henry and a charging Ricketts tries to flag the ball down, but Henry chips it hard for the top shelf and scored. Even though the defender tried to clear it away, it was already too late as the ball was going in.
But there was no denying the Impact for their first win against the Red Bulls as Sanna Nyassi came on as a substitute and buried his fifth goal against this side with a nice move to fake out Gaudette and then scores. The sellout crowd of 19,441 at Stade Saputo was treated to a solid match and quickly becoming a tough place to play for visiting sides.
But sadly for the Red Bulls a strong and solid first half was washed away with a disappointing start to the second half. They started the second half looking slow and lethargic. Even though Bill Gaudette played well once again, even he can’t stop everything and his defenders left him high and dry.
So now it’s a friendly against Tottenham Hotspurs on Tuesday and then back to league action with a trip to Houston and faces the Dynamo visiting BBVA Compass Stadium. But they will do so without Dax McCarty who picked up a yellow card and will serve a one match suspension on accumulation.
But fear not, the Tim Cahill era will begin very shortly and we hope to see some excitement coming back to the club like it did at the start of the season.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family