Last season, Arsenal lost Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri. And now this summer, they risk losing Arsenal striker Robin van Persie who has stated, on his official website, that he will not be signing a new contract at Arsenal and does not agree with the way that Arsenal should move forward.
Here’s what Robin van Persie said today:
“As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the boss [Arsène Wenger] and Mr [Ivan] Gazidis after the season. This was a meeting about the club’s future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.
“I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days. Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal should move forward.
“I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.
“I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal. Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch.
“I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last eight years. As soon as Mr Gazidis is back from his two-week holiday in America, further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments.”
If van Persie won’t sign a new contract, Arsenal faces the choice of keeping the Dutch striker until January when his contract expires, and letting him go on a free transfer, or selling him this summer for a whopping fee.
The situation doesn’t look good for Arsenal supporters. We can suspect that van Persie wants to win silverware and wants Arsenal to spend more money in the transfer window to strengthen the team. Despite the signings of Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud, this doesn’t appear to be enough for van Persie.
If van Persie does leave Arsenal this summer, which club do you think will sign him? If you’re an Arsenal supporter, what are your feelings regarding the news? Is van Persie right in making a statement that he wants to leave? Do you think Arsenal should continue their plan as-is, or do you think they need to spend more money to keep top talent? Share your opinions in the comments section below.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family