Tuesday night’s historic win by Chelsea against Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League smashed the 2012 Super Bowl’s record number of tweets per second (TPS) on Twitter.
The peak for the 2012 Super Bowl was 12,233 TPS. But immediately after Fernando Torres scored his injury-time goal for Chelsea, Twitter exploded with 13,683 tweets per second. Twitter wasn’t the only thing exploding Tuesday night.
Gridiron football may be popular in the United States, but the popularity of soccer worldwide is on a completely different level. And this wasn’t even a World Cup or European Championship match.
While soccer is certainly the world’s most popular sport, Fernando Torres’s goal didn’t beat the world record for the number of tweets per second, which was set by a Japanese TV show in 2011 at 25,088 TPS.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family