Connect with us

General

Gary Speed May Have Accidentally Killed Himself, Inquest Hears

A coroner’s inquest into the death of Gary Speed has ruled that the Welsh manager may have killed himself accidentally.

The cause of death was ruled a hanging, but the coroner said that “the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental.” In the coroner’s verdict, he stated that Speed may have fallen asleep while sitting with a cable around his neck on the stairs in his garage.

Gary Speed’s wife explained how the couple had been involved in an argument. “We walked in the house and we had an exchange of words about something and nothing,” she said. “I went upstairs and lay on the bed for probably about five or ten minutes. Then I decided to go for a drive, to clear my mind (and for) space to think.”

She added that she drove to the “top of the road” before she stopped to phone her husband’s mobile phone. After getting no reply, she returned to the house and tried, unsuccessfully, to ring him again.

“I decided to keep the car running and stay there until I could get into the house,” she said. But after getting some sleep in the vehicle she told the hearing she woke up at about 6am and went to the outside bathroom.

When she approached the garage, she said ““I went to the window and there I saw him” — where it was apparent that Speed had hanged himself.

Mrs. Speed also revealed that Gary Speed had been talking about taking his own life days before he died, in a text message to her. But that he quickly dismissed it, saying he was excited about the future with his wife and two sons.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
14 Comments

14 Comments

1. Nonsense

January 31, 2012 at 10:45 am

I mean no disrespect to the man or his family but that coroner report is very odd.

Accidentally killed himself? Fell asleep with a cord wrapped around his throat? First why would he have a cord wrapped around his throat unless he was seriously contemplating suicide. Has anyone seen someone hung? I would think the moment he slipped off the stairs the pressure would immediately wake him up. Also if he was sitting on the stairs I’m guessing that he would be able to stand up and the hanging would stop.

Again no disrespect to the man or his family but that doesn’t make sense to me.

2. jtm371

January 30, 2012 at 11:39 pm

very strange story something not adding up.will never know the whole story.maybe that is okay i don’t know.if this happened to me i think i would never be able to forget the last argument i had with my wife.not passing judgement because God knows she has to live with this tragedy for the rest of her life.like i said the day it happened please keep his family and sons in your prayers.those two boys had nothing to do with this and they will live with this sometimes life is not fair.

3. jeneria

January 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Usually when they say a hanging is unintentional, it’s a euphemism for auto-erotic behavior but that makes absolutely no sense in this case. It’s like they’re insinuating that Speed was pulling a Sylvia Plath and expected his wife to make it home in time to stop him from dying.

• The Gaffer

January 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Jereria, that’s ridiculous. Who’s “they” and what are you basing this on? Absolutely nothing.

• JC

January 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Before I read the story I feared that might be it too. I mean, there aren’t many scenarios where you end up with something tied around your neck on purpose. Suicide/homicide of course, but if the result was an accident, then what were you doing with something tied around your neck? For reference, see david carradine and the INXS lead singer.

Anyway, obviously that’s not in play here, but it is an odd story. Particularly the part about the wife sleeping in the car.

4. Neil O

January 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Just let him rest in peace. Jesus, not everything is meant to be news.

• The Gaffer

January 30, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Neil, not sure if that’s directed at me or the commenters, but I think it’s only fair that the readers know the results of the coroner’s inquest, so we can close the loop on the story. Whether we like it or not, it is news. I’d honestly prefer not to write about it, but I would be doing an injustice to readers by not reporting it (and I promised when I wrote the initial story about Speed’s death that I would share what the inquest reported when the news was released).

• Jean

February 1, 2012 at 9:36 am

I agree with Neil, here

5. David

January 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm

“may have killed himself accidentally” only says it’s posible it may not have been suicide. Nothing definitive though. Maybe a more thorough investigation may lead to some answers. Or we may just have to accept that we’ll never know for sure.

6. tfc

January 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I dont understand the second to last sentence “Mrs. Speed also revealed that Gary Speed had taking his own life days before he died, in a text message to her. ” Can anyone decipher this?

• Ian

January 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Difficult to understand upon first read but Speed had texting his wife the night prior to his death stating that was going to kill himself.

As for the comments on murder, I find them far fetched. Clearly I didnt know Gary nor do I know his wife but there would have to be some massive underlying story for his wife to murder her husband and father of her children. If that were the case I would be shocked.

Gaffer, care to chime in?

• The Gaffer

January 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm

tfc, that was a typo which has since been corrected. My apologies.

7. Sam Itole

January 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm

This is the most ridiculous tale ever. Please, do a proper investigation, this smells like murder.

8. Chicken Vindaloo

January 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm

this seems so suspicious. I hope they thoroughly investigate his wife.