Connect with us

General

How Much Soccer Do You Watch?

We’re faced with an incredible number of soccer matches each week to choose from. It’s impossible to watch everything, so we carefully pick and choose which games and leagues to watch.

But in an average week, how much soccer do you watch?

Here, on EPL Talk, is one of the few places you can be completely honest with the answer. If it was your partner or friend asking, you may bend the truth slightly so your answer didn’t seem so excessive and so you didn’t come off as being addicted or obsessed with the sport. But in some ways, we’re all addicted to either watching the Premier League or a specific Premier League club. Otherwise we wouldn’t be here. It’s why international breaks can be so difficult. It’s like going through withdrawals. Going cold turkey.

So in answer to the original question, feel free to post a rough estimate of how many hours you watch soccer each week.

For me, I’m a weekend warrior. I typically watch four live Premier League games on a Saturday followed by two on a Sunday. I watch highlights from the remaining games. On top of the Premier League, I often watch the Friday Bundesliga game as well as one Serie A game on a Saturday. During mid-week, I’ll watch – on average – two mid-week games whether they be the Carling Cup, Champions League or Premier League. So, based on an average week like that, I estimate I watch 25 hours of soccer. Depending on my schedule, some weeks it’ll be less. Some weeks, it’ll be more. But 25 hours sounds like a fair average.

How much soccer do you watch each week?

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
17 Comments

17 Comments

1. Josh

May 6, 2012 at 12:57 am

Just came across this and figured I’d add myself.

A typical weekend for me is 1-2 Premiership games on Saturday (usually the ESPN2/TSN2 game and one of the later games. On Sunday usually the 11:30am Bundesliga game, if GolTV has it. If there is a Friday Bundesliga (and its on GolTV) or Monday Premiership game, I try to catch some of it at least. Same goes for the late Saturday Serie A game if its a good matchup.

Oh, and Match of the Day 2 online because I refuse to pay $15 a month for Sportsnet World, which has the Sunday EPL games in Canada. So about 5-7 hours total for the weekend.

Midweek really depends. If there’s Champions League, 1 game each day for sure. If not, I’ll watch Premiership or Serie A midweek games. Occasionally La Liga. I don’t really care for the Carling Cup, Copa del Rey etc.

Certainly not as much as many, but I like to spread my sports viewing around. Many Sunday mornings I watch Formula 1. I also watch MLB, NHL and NFL, so there’s only so much time for everything.

2. Samrin

November 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

12- 13.5 hrs on a week which includes European action. This includes watching Bayern and Arsenal in their matches in the league and Europe, one or two Europa league matches as well as an additional CL match of usually Dortmund or Leverkusen. I also watch one or two La Liga games….:)

• local mls team

November 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm

instead of watching teams from Europe play on the TV, you’re much better off going to a live soccer match and enjoying the atmosphere. go out of the house and into the open fresh air and enjoy some real football instead of virtual football. watching too much TV ain’t good for you…

3. Dan

November 16, 2011 at 5:50 am

On a typical week I will watch: The Spurs match, the LA Galaxy match, any big matches and maybe a Barca game.

So that typically comes down to 4-5 full matches a weekend plus any Champions League in midweek

4. Matthew

November 15, 2011 at 10:31 pm

It really all depends. I am a fairly busy person with work and that can include the weekends grading papers and exams. Plus, I have other sporting interests: Univeristy of Washington footall, Dallas Cowboys, San Jose Sharks. I try to watch 3 games a week. I always watch Tottenham play and Stoke City since Woodgate plays for them. Then I try to catch a game that just interests me as a neutral. Thank goodness for the DVR.

5. Neville

November 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm

My weekend starts with the Friday afternoon Bundesliga game on ESPND.
    Then on Saturday I start with the EPL 7:45 am game on ESPN followed by the 10am game on FS while sumultaneously logged on to foxsoccer.tv and switching between various games. If the FS game isn’t up to much I’ll just watch the most interesting one on foxsoccer.tv.
    Thereafter, I’ll choose to watch either the 12:30pm EPL game on FS or a Bundesliga game or La Liga game depending on whose playing. Sometimes I’ll watch a Serie A game but I’m not that interested in it excewpt for the big games.
    So my Saturday is my main soccer-watching day worth about 8-10 hours of soccer.

On Sunday’s I go hiking with my friends so I DVR between 2-3 games, the 11am FS game plus 1 or 2 La Liga games. I watch these when I get back in the evening.

6. JC

November 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Usually 2-3 Premier League matches per week and one Championship match. I wish I had time for more, but even this is encroaching on my social life. I really need to find a woman who likes soccer.

7. Flyvanescence

November 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I dont get Fox Soccer, so i can only watch what ESPN has to offer. Therefore i usually watch the Saturday early game, and if i get home from work in time i try to catch the Monday game if its on.

Mostly i watch EPL, but during the crazy-wacked MLS season i usually watch my home Philadelphia Union (often at the stadium).
    And i dont have ANY interest in MLS playoffs unless its the Union. The games are unwatchable.

I also like watching when Barcelona has a good matchup (Madrid, Valencia, Bilbão etc.) or if theres a good matchup in Serie A (especially if Napoli or a Milan team is involved).

I dont watch much Bundesliga.

If there is a USA game or a good international matchup, i sometimes watch.

So i usually only watch about 2-3 hours a week.

8. S04th

November 15, 2011 at 11:21 am

It’s really variable depending on what I can get.

I usually watch three Bundesliga matches (ESPN’s two and Schalke if they’re not on ESPN) and one 2nd Bundesliga match (St. Pauli). Plus Sky’s Bundesliga highlights (I can’t get enough Alan Fountain!).

One or two EPL matches depending on quality and what’s opposite them, and one League One match if I can find the Sheffield Wednesday game. Plus MotD.

Roma and Napoli’s games in Serie A.

One or two midweek matches depending on schedule.

I’ve also been trying to watch more MLS, but scheduling, airing and my memory make this somewhat hit or miss.

20 hours or so I guess.

9. Todd

November 15, 2011 at 10:32 am

I watch Arsenal first, then usually 3-4 more throughout the weekend depending on the match-ups and my schedule. Usually try to stay up on the big 6, and as of late, been loving Swansea.

• robert

November 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Amen. Every Arsenal game and bits of others along with the review show every Sunday. Maybe a midweek game, but with a 5 yr old, a job, mtn biking, the gym, cooking dinner for the fams… too much life to watch more than a couple a week.

But I do love me that sacred Gunners game a week and my highlights.

10. 215RBrock

November 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

I would say 3 or 4 games per weekend. I try to always catch Arsenal and Man. Utd. matches. Tottenham, QPR, and City are all games I try to record and watch later or try to catch those highlights. Middle of the week I try to catch all 4 EPL teams that compete in UEFA Champions.

11. Christian

November 15, 2011 at 8:56 am

I’ll record 2-4 matches a week depending on who’s on. I’ll have TWC soon so I’ll finally get FSC in HD which means I’ll probably start watching a lot more.

Always sure to watch City, United, Spurs and Chelsea but I love watching Everton and Fulham. I make a point to catch as many matches of the newly promoted clubs as well since they normally offer a breath of fresh air.

Ok, so I guess I watch as much as I can and then fill the rest of the week with FIFA 12 matches.

12. Jjerg

November 15, 2011 at 8:41 am

None. I love soccer more than anyone I’ve known but I can not pay for TV nor can I listen to the ignorant drivle that the Fox announcers spew out. I watch match of the day and the football league show when I can along with other league wrap ups when available.
    I have a scoreboard that shows every league. I follow every league. I then spend close to 30 hrs a week (2-5 hours a day during the week and 5-8 a day after Sat & Sun games) reading match reports and knowledgeable opinion like EPL, MLS,Talk.
    I try to attend 10 MLS games a season. Most of them Fire home games but its surprising how quick one could get to Columbus if tickets pop up.

13. Eric

November 15, 2011 at 7:47 am

In a family of non-fans, it isnt easy but 3-4 matches of EPL (most on replay sadly lol) and at least one MLS match. Everton first!!!!!

14. iDontKnowWhat2Say

November 15, 2011 at 7:27 am

3-4 matches from premier league (ManUtd must, other involving tottenham, city, chelsea, arsenal, newcastle, swansea in tht priority order), if there is any match from Serie A involving min two teams from MIlan, inter, Juventus, Napoli. From La Liga Real Madrid sometimes. two mid week games from UCL

So around 5-6 matches per week + 3-4 hours related stuff so total 14-16 hours of football per week

15. Ibrahim Kaddoura

November 15, 2011 at 7:12 am

Bundesliga: 5 matches(Fri, Sat, Sun) = 10 hrs
    EPL: 1 early match on Sat before the Bundesliga starts, and same on Sunday = 4 hrs
    La Liga: Real Madrid & Barcelona =4 hrs
    Serie A: Last Saturday & Sunday matches which is usually only= 3 hrs
    Ligue 1: PSG Matches ( mostly only 1 half) = 1 hour
    UAE Football league: 4 hours
    Champions league: a minimum of 10 hours
    Europa League: German teams x2 = 4 hours
    This is my usual week of football = 40 hours
    So i guess it is pretty obvious how much i love football. As i write this i am also watching a replay Bayern 3-2 Napoli, and i still i have 18 minutes till Lebanon play Korea in the Asian World Cup Qualifiers !