Connect with us

Leagues: EPL

Paul Scholes Ends Man Utd Career With a Trademark Scholesy Goal

It was a fitting tribute to Paul Scholes’s final game for Manchester United. The ginger haired midfielder scored a trademark goal from 20 yards in his testimonial against the New York Cosmos (see above video).

“I hope I have left the fans with a few decent memories,” he said. “I’d like to thank the manager, my team-mates, the coaching staff. I cannot say how grateful I am to them. It has been a great pleasure. They have all been brilliant with me, and so have the fans, right from the start of my career.

“It has been a special night, but I am glad it’s over, really. I would say thanks to the fans for being so amazing and that I am just looking forward to being one of them now, and watching this team go on to win more trophies.”

Manchester United went on to win the friendly 6-0 with goals by Wayne Rooney, Anderson, Danny Welbeck and Mame Biram Diouf (2).

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
12 Comments

12 Comments

1. Harman

December 14, 2011 at 2:46 am

paul wow one of my fav…!

2. brn442

August 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

What a strike. A sold out testimonial at Old Trafford – wow. Yorke pushing 40, still still showed his flashes of brilliance, as the commentator said – shame he wasn’t more disciplined off the pitch. As a New Yorker, I can’t wait for the practical rebirth of the Cosmos.

3. SoccerLimey

August 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm

One of the great English midfielders of all time, and don’t listen to me. Just listen to what his peers have said. Last night’s goal epitomized his career. Misuse by England and Eriksson for years cost us a tournament win.

4. Troy

August 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm

The ginger wizard will be missed. My favorite recent memory is the winner over City in stoppage a couple seasons ago. Pure class.

5. welcome to manchester

August 6, 2011 at 6:55 am

shame sneijders goin to city 31 mil ..this site is always last with the news

• Why?

August 6, 2011 at 7:15 am

Sneijder is not heading for City it’s paper talk. Now Nasri theirs a different story.

• The Gaffer

August 6, 2011 at 8:11 am

Welcome to Manchester, we don’t publish tabloid trash regarding transfer rumors. As the other reader mentioned, City have denied that they’ve made any move for Sneijder.

• Mike

August 6, 2011 at 11:04 am

When MOST of the tabloids jump on a rumor, it tends to have some merit to it. But one Italian rag promoting a story that City then denies is not worth mentioning.

City may have played a few of their cards close to the vest this summer, but they haven’t tended to be untruthful in their comments either.

6. sahil

August 6, 2011 at 6:45 am

bye bye scholesy…hope to see you in coaching staff

7. sahil

August 6, 2011 at 6:44 am

bye bye scholesy..wishes you a great life ahead..annd hopes to see you in the coaching staff

8. MUFC77

August 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm

One of the best Utd players EVER, pure class in every way. Also one of the few players rival fans seem to respect and admire.

Who knows what England could have achieved if they had played to his strengths instead of just finding a place for him in midfield.

9. MUFCforlife

August 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Cheers to Paul Scholes, the Ginger Prince. One of the greatest Red Devils ever! I’m really glad to see he went out in a perfect way. Thanks for the memories.