It’s amazing what happens when you have a midfielder like Sanna Nyassi who barely gets anything in sixteen games, yet when a certain side comes to visit Dick’s Sporting Goods Park it looks like that they would make you look like a world class player. That’s what the Gambian did to the New York Red Bulls as he put on a clinic and showed his speed.
It all started in the second minute as the Rapids wanted to end this match early. Nyassi gets his first as he attacked the area and played a give and go with defender Tim Ream as he purposely deflected the ball off his legs and when he got the ball back, beats Frank Rost with a high chip. Ream had no clue what happened and that indecision cost them a goal.
Nyassi’s second goal was a moment of brilliance as he was able to slice and dice through the New York defense. Got a great ball from Omar Cummings and when there was a chance of being closed down; Nyassi avoided the defenders and beat Rost short side in the thirty-first minute.
The final goal to finish off his hat trick came in the sixty-first minute as Nyassi avoids Carlos Mendes and attacks the net. He gets inside the area and buries the ball past Rost who did get a touch on the ball, but not enough as it hits the back of the net. Three hard working and spectacular goals for Nyassi and the funny thing about it, those goals are that they are his first three of the season.
It could’ve been four goals for Nyassi if his long blast in the 26th minute didn’t hit the near post, but it left a juicy rebound for Wells Thompson as he rushed in and converted his chance on a confused Rost. It was a great night for Sanna Nyassi as he earned a hat trick and even though it won’t count as an assist, you can say that he helped out his side with a juicy rebound.
This was the worst match of the season for the New York Red Bulls. This side that looked confident and strong earlier this season has completely fallen apart. I expected them to have a lull when the Gold Cup came around, but sadly it looks like it got contagious and they haven’t played well. Mediocrity has fallen into the club and it’s not sitting well with the supporters.
In their last fifthteen matches they have only won twice and lost four times with too many draws to count. Right now there are question marks with how Hans Backe has been managing this side after such a great season last year.
He has messed around with the keeper situation and now he hasn’t bothered to make a substitution since the reserves were destroyed by the Crew in the reserve league earlier in the season. Now Austin Da Luz has been sent to DC United for the international spot to Rost. The depth that was growing has now been dismantled.
Outside of Tim Ream the entire draft class from last season has been subtracted and it’s a growing question as to why Backe said the Supporters Shield is the only thing that matters instead of the big trophy. This is a talented roster, which sadly decided not to show up mentally against the defending MLS Cup Champions and was lazy all over the field.
If things don’t change for the Red Bulls and quickly, those sides below them will take over and it could be from one of those three automatic spots to the wild card and that would be a disaster.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Willian leaves Corinthians following death threats
- Seven-time winner Messi misses out on Ballon d’Or nomination
- EPL commentators on NBC: August 13 to 15
- Rush from potential tenants for Cruyff’s boyhood home
- Tottenham boss Conte relishing heated Chelsea challenge
- Haaland’s will to win impresses Guardiola
- Benzema, Courtois and De Bruyne nominated for UEFA award
- Serbia’s Kostic completes Juventus move
- Ten Hag does not want to lose Rashford at Man Utd
- Tuchel reveals ‘bond’ with Aubameyang amid Chelsea rumours