When the summer transfer window opened for Major League Soccer the Red Bulls were very determined to get a brand new keeper to help this club stop the leak and help the offense put some goals into the oppositions net. Getting his ITC & P1 Visa was former Hamburg keeper Frank Rost and right away was thrown into the fire for the Red Bulls two match road trip to face Chivas-USA.
You can definitely say after ninety minutes and some extended second half stoppage time that a scoreless draw was going to be the end result with the Red Bulls having majority of the chances and Chivas-USA looking dangerous, but never got a clean shot on goal.
If you are looking for some decent moments there were some with Jan Gunnar Solli in the first half with a rip in the 32nd minute that nails the crossbar. It originally looked like Dan Kennedy got a hand or a fingertip on the ball, but the referee said no touch and gave the goal kick.
Even the misses looked somewhat dramatic for the Red Bulls when Juan Agudelo had two chances to put it on frame, but sadly they were wide of both posts. Plenty of attack from the Red Bulls but sadly no conversions as the match ended scoreless.
But the most important player for the Red Bulls was the starting keeper as Rost looked to command his area and did so very well. After flying in from Germany on Friday and hopping on the plane to Los Angeles with the Red Bulls, you would think there would be some jet lag with top rated keeper of the Bundesliga.
That wasn’t the case as he played well and gave Tim Ream some instructions on how to be aware in the defensive end. He forced Jorge Flores to take a shot that nailed the crossbar in the 38th minute and that would be the closest thing to a chance on goal all night for Chivas-USA
But the one thing that Rost didn’t like from the Chivas-USA attackers was getting bumped into and he nearly delivered a hard elbow to the face of Justin Braun. After leaping for the ball in the 50th minute Braun took a step or two towards Rost and tried to bait him for a card.
Then late in the second half it was Chris Cortez who went after the ball late that was grabbed by Rost and he bumped him as well. Rost was not happy about that and referee Mark Kadlecik demanded that Cortez leave the Red Bulls area.
All of a sudden controversy would rear its ugly head in the 90th minute as Rost made a big grab Kadlecik for some reason blew his whistle as he thought he saw a hand ball in the area to award Chivas-USA a penalty. After discussion with his near side assistant Jeff Hosking, who had the better angle that Carlos Mendes header to Rost was not a hand ball. The call was overturned.
For the Red Bulls who earned their eleventh draw of the season knew they had to release one of their keepers or send them on loan. That would be Greg Sutton whose contract is not guaranteed and was sent to the Montreal Impact of the North American Soccer League.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan
- Wimbledon, Tour, cricket and rugby find Covid still in the air