It was the road trip from hell for the New York Red Bulls. Three draws and a loss as they continued to score goals but they couldn’t find a way to keep a point or the full three points. But with Toronto FC coming to town earloer this week, this would be the game where the Red Bulls had to right the ship and stop earning draws.
Thierry Henry got on the scoreboard in the 33rd minute as the ball came to him by accident. Jan Gunnar Solli attacked down the right side and made a solid cross in the area that went towards Luke Rodgers who missed it, but fell right to Henry’s feet where he converted it inside the far post.
Solli wasn’t finished helping out the strikers and he continued five minutes later to give Rodgers his first goal since being sidelined with an injury. He got deep into Toronto’s end and found Rodgers just inside the area. A misstep by Rodgers popped the ball up, but with a side footed swing he smacked a hard shot that smashed the back of the net for the two goal lead.
Joel Lindpere was very vocal during this four game road trip as he felt that it wasn’t fun anymore with all the mistakes being made and dropping points. What looked like an amazing free kick goal towards the end of first half stoppage time was wiped out by a foul in the area, but in the 52nd minute he got his goal back from a nice run and pass by Dane Richards. His fourth goal in three straight games as Lindpere struck it from just outside the area.
We all know that Juan Agudelo has a bright future in front of him for his club, the league and the US National Team. You saw the talent against Argentina, on the road at DC United, this past Gold Cup and now scoring his first two goal game against Toronto FC.
The Red Bulls earned a corner on the near side in the 67th minute as Lindpere delivered. A smart move by Agudelo as he stepped away from the net and was able to leap in the air. He headed it in for his first of the night and that would be the fourth time this season the Red Bulls converted from a corner kick.
His second goal of the night came in the 89th minute. Lindpere took advantage of some lazy defending by Ty Harding, as it was a solid cross to Agudelo who toe poked it home past Frei and that was all she wrote. Five goals to nil was the final score and the first full three points since defeating the New England Revolution on Friday, June 10th.
After defeating the Vancouver Whitecaps you would believe that Toronto FC would take advantage of that momentum into their next league game, but sadly it seems that it’s back to square one. With the acquisitions of Torsten Frings and Danny Kovermans the summer transfer window can’t come soon enough.
But this clean sheet victory for the Red Bulls is the first since their four goal destruction at DC United on April 21st. And speaking about DC United, they are next to come up to play the Red Bulls on Saturday, July 9th. The derby never gets old when these two sides meet up.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- FOX Sports to feature US Soccer float in Macy’s Parade
- FOX says US-England could rank in top 5 biggest games ever
- Umbro’s USA away kit better than Nike’s World Cup effort
- Man City vs Man United: TV coverage details
- Potter magic seals first league win as Chelsea boss
- Bundesliga in talks with private equity firms to sell media rights
- Gareth Bale debuts own craft beer ahead of World Cup
- Arsenal extend Adidas kit deal until 2030 on eve of derby win
- Where to find Crystal Palace vs. Chelsea on US TV
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Brighton on US TV