News Of The World, the UK’s biggest-selling newspaper, will publish its final edition this Sunday amid a huge amount of controversy resulting from revelations regarding a phone hacking scandal. News Corp International, the parent company, has decided to stop publishing the newspaper.
The newspaper has been embroiled in a scandal recently which has revealed that News Of The World staff members hacked phone voicemail messages. These people who allegedly had their phones hacked included Ryan Giggs, John Terry, Andy Gray and many others.
The straw that broke the camel’s back happened this week when claims that the paper hacked into mobile phones of a 13-year-old murdered schoolgirl as well as families of bombing victims from the 7/7/2005 bombings in London.
The newspaper, which is owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch, has come under intense criticism and scrutiny due to the scandal. News Corp International also owns Sky Sports, FOX Soccer and tons of other subsidiaries.
The News Of The World, which is the Sunday sister paper of The Sun, was founded in 1843. The Sunday tabloid has often featured extensive English football coverage especially regarding transfer gossip and saucy affairs involving footballers.
Labour MP Tom Watson told Sky News that the end of the newspaper was “a victory for decent people up and down the land, and I say good riddance to the News of the World.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Things change’ – Ceferin warns Europe’s old elite before Champions League final
- UEFA chief Ceferin calls on La Liga to stop criticism of PSG
- Liverpool’s Thiago, Fabinho fit for Champions League final
- Champions League Final on TV: Liverpool vs. Real Madrid details
- Ibrahimovic intends to continue playing, says Maldini
- Zinchenko wants to make Ukraine ‘proud’ in World Cup play-off
- Ukraine’s Andriy Yarmolenko to leave West Ham
- Mane promises ‘special’ answer over future at Liverpool
- Melbourne City aim to emulate Man City with back-to-back titles
- Euro glory would make Liverpool the best ever: McManaman