Gael Clichy today joined Manchester City on a four-year contract. The former Arsenal defender, 25, will compete with Aleksander Kolarov for the starting left back position.
The transfer could signal the growing gap between Manchester City and Arsenal near the top of the Premier League table. Arsenal, who were in second place for much of the latter half of the season, were passed by Manchester City who ended in third place while the Gunners finished in fourth.
Manchester City are rumored to have spent £7million to capture Clichy from Arsenal. The signing of Clichy is a fantastic move by Manchester City. The talented left back took over the reins at Arsenal from Ashley Cole, and has been a formidable player at the back for the Gunners.
“I’m really happy to be joining such a great club,” said Clichy. “I hope I can add to the quality we already have here because we have a fantastic squad who I believe will continue to get better. I can’t wait to get started and I think anything is possible with this team.”
The two questions for Arsenal are (1) will this be the beginning of an exodus from Arsenal especially if Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas are the next to leave, and (2) will one of these 10 players be the one to replace Gael Clichy?
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Book review of ‘How to Win the World Cup’ by Chris Evans
- Manchester United defeat highlights Ten Hag’s need for rotation
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Will FOX broadcast the World Cup in 4K?
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Man United on US TV
- FOX Sports to feature US Soccer float in Macy’s Parade
- FOX says US-England could rank in top 5 biggest games ever