ChampionshipTalk will be doing a series of articles in the next few weeks looking at the relationship between football fans and the clubs they support.
Looking at the impact of the contrast between the economic downturn and the increasing costs of running a football club this series will aim to provide a balanced review of the situation and how it may evolve.
Since the Taylor report introduced in the early 90’s the reduction in hooliganism and growth of the game has in general seen football attendances rise year on year.
This year has seen this rise come to an end with the average Championship attendance falling by 2.8% compared to 2009/2010 to just under 17,500.
Over the next few weeks ChampionshipTalk will look at the current cost of tickets in the Championship and the economic, social and logistical reasons that could affect the league in the next few years.
This will start with a look at what the 2010/2011 Championship table would have looked like if it was the fans in the stands rather than points won that determined the final positions.
A full list of articles in the series will be listed on this page as they are published.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Ronaldo’s power play puts pressure on Ten Hag
- Galtier appointed PSG coach on two-year deal: sources
- Veteran Quagliarella extends Samp stay to 2023
- Marseille name Croat Igor Tudor as new coach
- PSG tipped to finalise appointment of Galtier as coach
- Barcelona seal double swoop for Kessie, Christensen
- Work to be completed well before World Cup: organisers
- Switzerland to Salford: Four days of groundhopping across Europe
- Phillips makes ‘dream’ move from Leeds to Man City
- Man Utd agree deal to sign Eriksen: reports