Connect with us

General

Where to Watch the Championship Playoffs and Final Live in the U.S.

We’re entering the final weeks of the 2010-11 season, and there’s still a lot to play for in the Premier League. But one of the biggest prizes to be decided is which club from the nPower Championship will qualify to play in the Premier League next season through the Championship play-off system.

We already know that Queens Park Rangers (QPR) and Norwich City, two classic teams, will be playing in the Premier League next season. But the competition to decide who will be the third team to be promoted begins its journey this week. With the Championship season now over, the third place team will play the sixth place team in a home and away semi-final, while the fourth place team will play the fifth place team. The two teams who advance will then play in the final where the winner will advance to the Premier League, while the loser will play in the Championship again next season.

You can just imagine how spectacular these semi-finals are as well as the final with so much on the line. The final is often more entertaining than a FA Cup Final and typically features plenty of goals and end-to-end action.

For those of us in the United States, we haven’t had the pleasure of watching these games live until recently. The Championship playoffs used to be something we’d follow on minute-by-minute text commentary or via some obscure Internet radio station. Setanta then showed some of the games while they were in business in the States. But now, thankfully, EPL Talk can reveal that Fox Soccer Plus and FoxSoccer.tv will show the playoff semi-finals as well as the Championship playoff final live.

Here’s the schedule of when you can watch the games:

Thursday, May 12:

• Nottingham Forest vs Swansea City, 2:45pm ET, Fox Soccer Plus and FoxSoccer.tv

Friday, May 13:

• Reading vs Cardiff City, 2:45pm ET, Fox Soccer Plus and FoxSoccer.tv

Monday, May 16:

• Swansea City vs Nottingham Forest, 2:45pm ET, Fox Soccer Plus and FoxSoccer.tv

Tuesday, May 17:

• Cardiff City vs Reading, 2:45pm ET, Fox Soccer Plus and FoxSoccer.tv

Monday, May 30:

• Swansea City vs Reading, Fox Soccer Channel and FoxSoccer.tv

With all of the games being played on weekdays, FoxSoccer.tv may be your best bet to catch all of the action from the comfort of your desktop or laptop screen. FoxSoccer.tv is just $14.99 per month and also provides you with live access to most of the major Premier League matches between now and the end of the season (see schedule here). Learn more today.

Out of the four Championship teams competing to advance to the Premier League, which one would you like to see promoted to the Premier League and why? Share your opinions in the comments section below.

For more comprehensive coverage of the nPower Championship, visit our sister site Championship Talk with excellent articles by Kristian Downer.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
32 Comments

32 Comments

1. Craig Atton

May 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Like to see Cardiff make it…be nice to have a Welsh club competing at the top level. Plus another good reason for Bellamy to join the City side again.

2. Terry

May 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm

What a terrific game between Forest and Swansea. Too bad about the sending off so early for Swansea but they must be happy about going home all tied at zero. Still everything to play for as Forest didn’t give up an away goal. Looking forward to the return game next week. Let’s hope tomorrow’s game is as good.

• Mike in Idaho

May 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Just an FYI, the announcer in the game yesterday said that away goals do not count as a tiebreaker in these playoffs so away goals have no extra significance. I think yesterday’s game was a disaster for Forest, they were outplayed for large stretches despite being a man up. I am afraid this will probably cost them on Monday.

• kramtaff

May 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm

quite correct..awy goals are no adatage in play offs

3. Jason

May 12, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I want Swansea to be promoted, if the gods will listen, just so that the gaffer can also feel the pain the rest of us EPL fans go through week in and week out. Losing in the Championship isn’t nearly as agonizing as in the EPL 🙂 . Of course I wouldn’t know since Man U has never been in the Championship.

4. Dakota

May 11, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Cool thanks much for that info on the games..super appreciate it

5. Brian

May 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Bluebirds flying high!

6. Mike in Idaho

May 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Does anyone know if these will be in HD on DirecTV? So far their guide says no which would really annoy me. And Jose, I know in past years that Setanta showed the League 1 and league 2 playoffs but I’m not sure about FSC+.

• The Gaffer

May 11, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Mike, if you have Fox Soccer Plus, you’ll be able to see the games live in HD on DirecTV.

• Mekias

May 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I set my DVR to record the game on the SD version of FSP. As of a few hours ago, the FSPHD channel didn’t show it as available.

Can anyone confirm whether DirecTV showed it in HD?

7. Jose

May 11, 2011 at 10:51 am

The playoffs are my favorite part of the season as there is so much on the line for the team, their cities and their fans.

Does anyone know if the league 1 and league 2 playoff’s, which start on Saturday, are going to be televised this year?

I’d love to see a cardiff v swansea playoff final.

• The Gaffer

May 11, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Jose, let me look into this for you and the other readers who are interested.

• The Gaffer

May 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

FoxSoccer.tv will not be showing the League One and League Two playoff games unfortunately.

8. Stacy Richardson

May 10, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I think it’s ridiculous that the final is not on Fox Soccer Channel.

• Yespage

May 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Or at least a replay of it, that can be DVR’d. FSC probably could live without an infomercial here or there.

• trickybrkn

May 11, 2011 at 7:02 am

I remember paying $30 to see it on pay per view on Directv in 2006… And $250 to watch the Euros. So its all relative.

9. dominjon

May 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Hey Gaffer,
    So do you know if these games will remain on foxsoccer.tv for a week or is it a case of having to watch live? It seems like some of the non-premier games are not archived, hopefully these are so I can watch them later.

10. Dave (dlbags)

May 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Off topic Gaffer but a great read on the problem in Rio for the upcoming World Cup and Olympics.

11. James

May 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Jason, the games are on Fox Soccer Plus not FSC.

12. Nick

May 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Wish they’d broadcast the games that don’t conflict with the EPL on FSC for those of us with Comcast who aren’t offered the opportunity to subscribe to Plus.

13. Jason Gatties

May 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’ve never had much luck with FoxSoccer.tv working properly, so I’ll have to DVR FSC

14. IanCransonsKnees

May 10, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I’d go for Forest as they hit form at the right time to make 6th. That said Reading were storming until getting beat by Sheffield United. Swansea have been consistent too.

So long as Cardiff don’t get promoted I don’t really mind.

• ccfcblue

May 11, 2011 at 8:53 am

Can I ask why you don’t want Cardiff promoted?

• IanCransonsKnees

May 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Past history with Stoke.

Being arrogant enough to warn the fans to stay off the pitch to allow the players to do a lap of honour whilst Stoke were still in with a shout of beating you in the play off final.

Try not to cry watching that ccfcblue 😉

Also buying Peter Thorne when he was about to become the first Stoke player that I’d seen play score 100 goals for Stoke. Thorney was that well thought of he got a standing ovation after scoring a hat-trick for Cardiff against Stoke from the Stoke fans. He wouldn’t celebrate any of the goals, one of my all time Stoke City heroes.

Kavanagh was a grey haired twat though.

15. Jon

May 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Forest…just for the hilarious fact that Robbie Findley could then be called a Premier League striker. O_O!

16. Frank

May 10, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Thanks gaffer. Great news that foxsoccer.tv is also showing the games.

17. bluemoon70

May 10, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I’d like to see Nottingham Forest promoted since it’s been so long since they’ve been up and they were at one time one of the top clubs in England. Cardiff City also because it would be nice to see Craig Bellamy stay there and try to lead them through the EPL season.

18. harold

May 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm

A Cardiff-Swansea playoff final would be a police nightmare!

I can see Reading winning promotion – then boring everyone in the Premier League to death next season

My predictions for promotions from League 1 & 2 are Peterborough and Shrewsbury respectively

19. MennoDaddy

May 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I’d love to see Forest back in the EPL. There’s such a massive tradition there; it’s a shame they’ve been down for so long.

But really, I’d be content with either of the Welsh clubs, too. Just so long as it’s not Reading.

20. Guy

May 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

A great time of the year for my Fox Soccer Plus subscription! The Championship playoffs and two sets of rugby playoffs, all in HD. At least my wife will know where to find me. 🙂

And the answer is…..Swansea City, of course. Just so you can have a team in the EPL…. 😉 and the fact that my wife’s family came to the States from Swansea in 1882.

21. ron

May 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Cardiff or Swansea. Need an excuse to travel to Wales next year! (twist my arm)

22. Chris

May 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Really rooting for Nottingham Forest — followed them the last few years for no other reason than that I started playing with them in the FIFA games back when they were still in League One and just started to get to know the team. I also follow Cardiff since it was one of the cities we visited during my trip to the UK a few years ago.