Connect with us

General

Aston Villa Home Shirt for 2011-12 Season: Leaked Photo

A photo of Aston Villa’s home shirt for the 2011-12 Premier League season has been leaked on the Internet.

Designed and manufactured by Nike, the new shirt isn’t befitting one of the oldest and most successful clubs in English football. The familiar claret and sky blue colors are back but they’re ruined by the checkered pattern on the front and back of the jersey.

While Umbro have been creating simple and elegant designs of late, Nike have been short of new ideas. The checkered pattern reminds me of something you’d expect to see in the early 90s. While many clubs are going retro with their designs, Nike just had to over think things, didn’t they?

For a club as classy as Aston Villa, it’s a shame that they’ve resorted to this design.

What do you think about it? Share your opinion in the comments section below. And for the largest selection of Premier League shirts for all 20 clubs, visit the EPL Talk Shop.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
23 Comments

23 Comments

1. NickG

May 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I like this kit, obviously it will be slightly different to the real thing, but the check design, it reflects our history and also make our kit stand out of the crowd, people will remember this kit.

2. Dakota

May 5, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I like it..I think its classy and I actually like the checkered pattern too. It’s kind of old school and I like it 🙂

3. brn442

May 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm

As many others have said – the checkered pattern probably would be negligible under normal lighting, in fact, I think it gives the shirt some character, reminds me of the diamond pattern on the umbro 92′ shirt. I think it is a nice shirt actually

4. Sean

May 5, 2011 at 6:58 am

While I do not mind the look of this season’s Villa kit with the checkered pattern on the side, this is a bit much for me. I much prefer the old school claret and blue kit sans pattern.

5. Ryan

May 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Why can’t teams hold on to a kit for more than one season anymore?
    I’m sure all clubs signed up to limiting the release of kits to either home/away kits every two seasons after Man United started taking liberties by churning out 4 different kits, each year.
    Shame on the FA for failing to enforce more exploitation of fans.
    I know i’ll get the old “you don’t have to buy it” quotes, but I think the clubs are being held to ransom by Nike and the like and should stop selling out there fans in order to chase success and riches.

• Sean

May 5, 2011 at 6:52 am

Clubs are not being held ransom by the likes of Nike. Clubs actively pursue this policy so they can put money into their coffers from shirt sales. They have to keep up financially with other sides in England and around Europe somehow.

6. david

May 4, 2011 at 5:27 pm

that kit is hideous, i hope to god that those checks are just down to the lighting/poor computer imagery because its just dumb, i bet man u or another big team wont have a design like this

• VillaPark

May 4, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Who the F cares what man u or another “big” team do?

7. Dave C

May 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Yeah I agree with most of the concensus on here that this shirt is not bad. I imagine the checks will probably not be as prominent under normal lighting conditions, and while you’re right that it has a sort of early-90s retro appeal (I would say more mid/late 80s), I think that’s just the style now. Tottenham has a very 80’s looking shirt this season. I think it looks pretty cool, as long as they avoid some of the more garish trends of that era.

8. Villan

May 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Just a note, this is just a prototype, the proper version (along with new sponsor) will be released by the club in July.

9. DGS

May 4, 2011 at 11:55 am

I’d like the checkerboard to be a bit more subtle, but I still think it looks good.

10. C Dub

May 4, 2011 at 11:37 am

LIke everyone else….I think its freaking cool! Nice look. Not sure why you would say they “ruined” it. Almost makes me wanna get one and I dont even support Aston Villa.

11. VillaPark

May 4, 2011 at 10:33 am

I have to say that after looking at this for more than a minute, it’s kind of grown on me. I guess I might have made the checkered pattern a little lighter, but it works.

Wondering what they’ll do with the away kit if it’s black again. Really liked the checkered pattern down the sides for this year; not sure if they can add the checkered pattern to the black or if they’ll switch to a different color again.

12. DeeRexBox

May 4, 2011 at 10:11 am

I think it looks pretty baller, actually. Don’t be so mean.

13. Jason Ogg

May 4, 2011 at 9:45 am

Like it.

14. Jake Islas

May 4, 2011 at 8:50 am

minus the sponsor, I thought Villa’s home and away kit’s this year were the best in the premier league. The checkered pattern down the side with the creativity to remain traditional while still looking great and new i thought was amazing. This shirt is great as well, I’m glad they didn’t take a step back after the great kit they put out this year. Wish they kept the V-neck tho, but brilliant shirt!

15. cory

May 4, 2011 at 7:41 am

without the checkerboard pattern on the body of the shirt this would look exactly like villa’s kits from 3 seasons ago. don’t get me wrong, i think it looks great, but nike’s doing nothing really special.

16. Fordy

May 4, 2011 at 7:11 am

I read an article a few weeks back that said FXPro are taking an option on their 2-year deal to pull out after 1 year! If that was true, can’t see this as the “final” kit for next season.

Overall, looks OK to me!

17. paul

May 4, 2011 at 6:29 am

I think it’s ok. We had checkers on the shirts this year too. I usually like the AV away shirts more, but I like this shirt enough. I like it better than this years home shirt.

The review is a little over the top. Plenty of clubs have horrible shirts (I mean, half the league has Vertical Stripes and white collars). To think THIS shirt is soooo bad would be funny if I didn’t think he was serious.

18. Alex

May 4, 2011 at 5:56 am

Think it looks great.

19. Luke Marshall

May 4, 2011 at 5:51 am

The club are the ones who wanted the cheques, that is why they where on this season,s kit and on the tickets and around the stadium

• Dave C