Sir Alex Ferguson isn’t the type of person you want to pick a fight with. After criticizing referee Martin Atkinson’s performance during Chelsea’s victory against Manchester United on March 1, Ferguson got into hot water with The FA today after he was handed a three-match touchline suspension. To make matters worse, the suspension has triggered a previous two-match touchline ban from a previous charge, which he had not served. So now Fergie faces five matches away from the touchline beginning on Tuesday, March 22. Plus, he has been fined £30,000 by The FA.
However, Ferguson has 48 hours to appeal the decision.
Ferguson appealed the initial charge of improper conduct a few days after the Chelsea loss. Some of the things that Ferguson said that got him into trouble with The FA in the first place were:
“You want a fair referee, or a strong referee anyway – and we didn’t get that.”
“I must say, when I saw who the referee was I feared it. I feared the worst.”
At the time, Ferguson allegedly went against the advice of Manchester United lawyers who recommended that he should not appeal. But appeal he did and Ferguson now faces the five-match touchline ban and a fine. If he decides to appeal these charges, then he may find himself in even deeper water.
What would you do if you were Sir Alex Ferguson? Would you appeal, or take the touchline ban and pay the fine? Vote below.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Premier League’s most underrated XI in the 2021/22 season
- Marseille secure Champions League place as Bordeaux go down
- RB Leipzig win first German Cup trophy
- Ten-man RB Leipzig win German Cup final on penalties
- La Rochelle boost Top 14 play-off hopes ahead of Euro final
- Fiorentina beat Juve to reach Conference League, Atalanta out of Europe
- ‘Very happy’ Mbappe snubs Real Madrid to stay at PSG
- Lyon beat Barca to claim eighth Women’s Champions League
- Which countries are FIFA World Cup rivals?
- Rangers lift Scottish Cup trophy after Europa League heartache