Hidden near the end of a Fox Soccer Channel press release last week about their upcoming “Clash of Giants” games on its network was a small mention of a poll. To me, it was the most newsworthy item of the entire press release since we die-hard Premier League fans already knew about the rest of the announcement. Not only was the mention newsworthy, but it was also possibly a potential sign of good things to come from Fox. The section read:
“Beginning Sunday, Feb. 27, fans can go online and vote to watch one of the following matches on FOX Soccer Channel on Friday, March 4 at 8 p.m. ET – the Chelsea-Liverpool Premier League match from Feb. 6, 2011, the 1971 FA Cup final between Arsenal and Liverpool, and the 1994 FA Cup final between Manchester United and Chelsea.”
Many readers to EPL Talk have been suggesting that Fox Soccer Channel delves more into the archives of great English football matches from the past. For some, it’s a trip down memory lane. For others, it’s an introduction to some of the monumental matches played in previous decades that stand the test of time. So for Fox to ask its viewers what great game of the past that should feature is a positive step in the right direction. One, to engage more with its viewers to get their input. But two, to feature more classic matches. If the poll is successful, who knows? Maybe Fox Soccer Channel can make this a regular weekly or monthly feature.
The three matches in question to vote on are:
- Chelsea versus Liverpool [Premier League], Feb 6, 2011
- Manchester United versus Chelsea [FA Cup Final], 1994
- Arsenal versus Liverpool [FA Cup Final], 1971
Which one would you pick? And where can you add your vote? Read on to find out.
Based on those three choices, I know which one I’d pick. It wouldn’t be Chelsea against Liverpool from a few weeks ago. Fox may have decided to offer that one as a choice because it’s the most-watched game in Fox Soccer Channel history. The 1994 FA Cup Final between Manchester United and Chelsea was too much of a one-sided affair in my opinion. However, it would be great to see some of the Manchester United and Chelsea legends in action. The third match, the 1971 FA Cup Final between Arsenal and Liverpool would be my obvious choice as the match that deserves to be selected. I’ve never seen the match on television (only highlights). And it features one of the most iconic goals in the history of the FA Cup.
I’m purposefully trying not to give away too much regarding what happened in these games so I don’t ruin the experience for those of you who want to enjoy it as-is. But consider some of the legends of the game who played that day for Liverpool against Arsenal:
- Liverpool: Ray Clemence, Emlyn Hughes, Ian Callaghan, Steve Heighway and John Toshack.
- Arsenal: Bob Wilson, Pat Rice, Peter Storey, Frank McLintock, George Graham, John Radford, Ray Kennedy and Charlie George.
Plus, consider the managers in charge of those two clubs. Arsenal had Bertie Mee while Liverpool had Bill Shankly.
Vote now (scroll down the page until you see the poll) and tell Fox Soccer Channel which of the three matches you’d most like to see:
But feel free to vote for whichever game you would love to see. And then tune in to Fox Soccer Channel on Friday, March 4th at 8pm ET to watch the game on telly.
One more thing. If you love watching games from the past, Fox Soccer Channel broadcasts games from its Premier League Archives most weeknights from 7-8pm ET. In that hour, Fox shows highlights from two matches. If you haven’t caught an episode yet, it’s highly recommended.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool beat Southampton to take title race to final day
- Frankfurt boosted by Lindstrom return for Europa League final
- Manchester United 2022/23 shirts leaked ahead of new season
- Senegal’s president supports Gueye after homophobia accusations
- Roofe gives Rangers cover for Europa League final
- Lucky trousers, big dreams as Glasner leads Frankfurt to Europa League final
- Hamburg relishing play-off bid to return to Bundesliga
- Houghton picked in provisional England squad for women’s Euros
- Sebastian Hoeness sacked by Hoffenheim
- Ranking World Cup 2022 stadiums from best to worst