Connect with us

General

Going Back In Time With Subbuteo Table Soccer: Video

As many of you, the regular readers know, I’ve got fond memories of playing Subbuteo as a child and still have a lot of respect and adoration for the popular table soccer game that was massive in the late 70s and early 80s, and is still played around the world.

So I was pleased to find a new Subbuteo video recently that I hadn’t seen before, which is the one above that I’d like to share with you.

Tim Lovejoy, who is one of the worst football pundits in Britain, actually had something intelligent to say in the above video where he mentions that while the game is fun, it was never as simple as it was shown on the television adverts.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
7 Comments

7 Comments

1. Ian

November 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Gotta disagree. It was BETTER than the ads. We actually used to cut down the metal rod type goals to the same height as the stretching goalies, as it was too easy to score!

2. B

February 23, 2011 at 1:38 pm

That sounded like Wossy.

It you haven’t seen it ,BBCAmerica’s six nations pre-game show uses Subbuteo rugby. Only part of it that’s worth watching though.

3. brn442

February 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Never grew up with Subbuteo. My older brother got a game of “Striker” for Christmas once, and with the generous help of Evo-Stik, it lasted a full 10 years.

4. Bishopville Red

February 21, 2011 at 9:52 am

The game wasn’t s simple as shown in those ads, but my friends and I got pretty handy around the pitch!

TITUS – Subbuteo still is cool. A great tool to pull out and show some different things to the kids too. Formations, overlapping runs, wall passes, offside rule, were all taught to me on a Subbuteo table back in the day.

There’s a guy named Kristian Jack on TV in Canada who does a section called the formation geek which breaks down various teams; formations via Subbuteo. It’s still relevant.

• Titus Pullo

February 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I could definitely see where that would come in handy as a learning tool. Now I’m starting to wish this was available in the states back when I was growing up.

5. Titus Pullo

February 21, 2011 at 8:42 am

Amazing what we were willing to play with/thought was cool in the time before video games.

• The Gaffer

February 21, 2011 at 9:15 am

It’s definitely night and day different than video games, that’s for sure. But there was still (and continues to be) a massive thrill with being more hands-on with a game and creating a match on the pitch. I’m sure there are some out there who prefer playing Subbuteo over video games.