Connect with us

General

Poll: Can Arsenal Go All The Way?

After Tuesday night’s impressive performance by Arsenal in their Carling Cup second leg semi-final victory against Ipswich, the Gunners now find themselves in the Carling Cup Final where they’ll face the winner of tonight’s second leg between West Ham United and Birmingham City.

Right now, everything is working out well for the Gunners. But can they go all the way? How many trophies do you think they can win this season? Vote in the poll below.

[polldaddy poll=4450186]

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
34 Comments

34 Comments

1. Mr Arsenal

February 7, 2011 at 11:50 am

I thin 4 trophies will be very hard for utd to take, your run is over, just like L’pools ended 20 years ago,

2. dixon

January 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm

well,year after year arsenal keep getting better.i think they will go all the way to win trophies this season.about TV and Kosc,ithink TV is better.looking at thier scoring ability,TV is better.one fact you are forgeting is that he had no good assistance last season in gallas,so he did most of the central defending.kosc is not physically strong like against torres.kosc had been sent on two occassions becos of his indicent tackle.see GIVE IT UP TO VERMEALEAN

3. mosdef

January 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm

@RVP, one thing we will have to do is agree to disagree on this one. I would think that at this point in time you would not ran into an Arsenal fan,who thinks Koscielny is a better defender that Vermaelen.

We are just going to have to disagree on this one, but evidence on the pitch suggests that at this point there is really no need for another center back, and even with TV’s absence, there is a better one in Koscielny. Both are at the same age of 25, but at this stage Kosc, positioning, anticipation are at a higher level, while Tv still struggles with this. Both are good at attacking aerial balls , but on one on one jumps his timing is better, TV has tended to concede too many fouls on this aspect, but the problem was last year, we were just glad to have a defender who could compete for these aerial balls and not be dominated.
    Typically when a new player joins Arsenal, they have to adjust to the Arsenal way of doing things, but its been interesting watching how the team has also had to adjust to Kosc, especially with his efficiency when attacking aerial balls. He not only wins those aerial balls but they are always directed to an Arsenal player or to space for an Arsenal player to collect, he rarely wastes the headers,I think its an obsession of his. His most impressive aspect is his covering , which I would say is better than any Arsenal defender, I’ve seen ,since I started watching the Arse during the Graham years, but he anticipates and attacks any lose ball in the midfield and since he is also good on the ball just like TV or any midfielder people have not noticed this. He might have been an unknown name to most Arsenal fans but we can recognize that he has all the tools to be a top class defender. His tackling is just as good as Tv, but because his anticipation is excellent he is a clean tackler of the ball, just like Sagna and he is better than even Clichy on one on one situations and for years I always thought this was Clichy’s strong point, he might not have Clichy’s recovery powers but his anticipation and positioning means that he wins the ball on more occasions that Clichy does. He has lost a few one on one duels due to a lack of strength but he does have the ingredients to be among the best and I for one am excited.

4. mosdef

January 27, 2011 at 12:14 pm

@RVP fan, I’m pretty sure you would be hard pressed to find an Arsenal supporter who thinks that Koscielny is better than Vermaeleen, so that might rule me out of the multitude of Knee jerk Arsenal fans. As much as we fans like stating or repeating what the pundits would have us believe, I would say there is a lot of fans like you out there, we watch and observe and observe some more. We will disagree on a lot of stuff and that’s the life of being a fan. Tv might be an all action center back but in his first year , he committed way too many mistakes and was conceding a lot more fouls than Koscielny does especially when attacking aerial balls. Typically when a new player arrives at Arsenal, they usually need to adopt to the Arsenal way, but it has been interesting to watch how Arsenal players had to adjust to Koscielny, when he attacks aerial balls his defensive headers almost always are headed to an Arsenal player, or to space where an Arsenal player will get the ball, no panic clearance,which in one instance has led to Arsenal conceding a goal, as Song was not ready.

Koscielny’s timing and anticipation on one on jumps are better than most defenders at Arsenal, his positioning,anticipation and covering are some of his strengths,but his covering is especially good,even better than any defender I’ve seen at Arsenal since I started following Arsenal in the Graham days. TV in the other hand still struggles with the first two but all young defenders will , as good as TV is on the ball, I would say Koscielny is just as good. On tackling they are both excellent, and I would say just like Sagna, Koscielny is a clean tackler of the ball. I used to think that Clichy was probably the best at one on one situations but Koscielny is by far the most efficient , he rarely loses on a one on one situation, and when he has for the most part,it has been due to his lack of strength. I know the game at Ipswich showed him wanting at times, but this was probably due to his lack of experience but as far as I’m concerned he is Arsenals best defender and we can all agree to disagree on this one .

5. RVPFan

January 27, 2011 at 10:38 am

We, Arsenal fans, have this tendency that I have noticed, since not having won the silverware for the past 5 years, is to become too hasty and cognizant and become too myopic each game at a time. For example most Arsenal fans said Chamakh was better than RVP. I kept arguing saying look man Chamakh is good, but RVP is a different class. RVP played few games when not even 100% and you could see the whole movement and attacking dimension of the team changed. Now they are contemplating selling Chamakh.
    Previous poster says Kos is better than Vermalaen now. While Kos is getting better match by match, trust me he ain’t anywhere close to TV. You’ll see when TV starts to play few matches, how quickly Arsenal supporters will change their mind and say rubbish like “sell Kos”.
    Maybe we fans ought to look at ourselves rather than the players to make hasty judgment game after game. Maybe we are the ones that aren’t giving Wenger and the players enough support.

6. mosdef

January 27, 2011 at 6:52 am

@ King Eric, as an Arsenal supporter, I would just like to remind you or inform you that with the 04 Invincible’s Keown made his tenth appearance of the season against Leicester on the last day of the season. According to the league table Arsenal have conceded a goal more than the team which currently sits at the top of the table , and Arsenal have let in three more goals, than Chelsea who have the best defense in the league. Your argument about Arsenals defense is somewhat right, but as an Arsenal watcher,I’d tell you of the current crop Arsenal do not need a new central defender. In Koscielny, Wenger has got the best defender he ever spent some money on. He has all the tools tools to be a top class defender, and at this point I consider him better than Vermaeleen but just not as experienced as TV, United should win and will probably win the title but Arsenal have done it their way in addressing whatever problems that ailed the squad. They may have not bought a known goalkeeper but in Szczesny we know we have an upgrade from Almunia.

7. TheSoccerSage

January 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm

The question: Can Arsenal go all the way?

The answer: Of course they CAN.

Will they? Only a Vivaldi-like flow from spring to summer upon the tick-tock wrists of plodding referees will yield the answer. My fellow sofa-pundits seem to constantly respond to any Arsenal defeat or draw with an unoriginal snipe: “CHAMPIONS don’t (apply circumstance here).” The only universal characteristic of a “CHAMPION” in my world is to sit atop a league table after the last match of the season or win a cup final. I may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I may pretend to be a “Sage” in my free time; Neither has blessed me with football’s greatest questions. If so, I’d be a filthy rich man. Okay, not quite as filthy as Roman Abramovich.

P.S. I’ll be sure to post a comment tomorrow so you will know whether I’ve been whacked by a Russian operative or not!

8. Sacto Blues

January 26, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Arsenal will win the League Cup but they are simply not good enough to win the FA Cup or the Premier League and of course don’t have any hope against Barcelona.

9. Feehily

January 26, 2011 at 1:50 pm

We can definitely win the Carling Cup (hey a cups a cup these days) and I feel that will help boost our final push in the league.. When you look at the points we dropped this season they were pathetic quite frankly, all home defeats too!
    Wenger seems to have settled on a starting 11, and this is long overdue. We have been plagued by injuries and finally it looks like we are figuring out what was up with that. The emergence of Wilshere and lately Djorourouruoruoruro… are huge boosts to our title push and of course a fit again RvP! Yes I believe we can win the league this year, as long as Arshavin stays benched and we remain focused… and Man Utd drop points!

And by the way, Utd going unbeaten, yeah it’s possible but if they do it with more than 12 draws it won’t mean a thing, just ask Alex Ferguson! :p

• King Eric

January 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm

they don’t care about going unbeaten, they just want title #19! hahah, djourou – that was funny, thanks for the laugh. teams that win titles always have one thing in common, a solid defence and keeper, which is exactly where arsenal are lacking. until those gaps are filled, they’ll just continue to fall short and disappoint countless gunner supporters.

• Feehily

January 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Man Utd do care, they will say they don’t… But they do :p

I agree with you about the Defence, when Arsenal were strongest was when our defence was for want of a better word “the bomb”! Adams, Keown, Dixon, Winterburn, Campbell, Toure, Cole, Lauren(?) Cygan (HAH)! Seaman and Lehmann!
        Our defence, while admittedly still shaky and keeping me up at night, has conceded just 3 goals since the turn of the year. And those were against Leeds and Ipswich! In the league we haven’t let one in! A stat the surprised me completely!

• stephen

January 27, 2011 at 9:46 am

How great would it be if Utd were unbeaten in April with Arsenal within 3 points in 2nd. There would be an epic showdown April 30.

• stephen

January 27, 2011 at 9:47 am

Of course, Utd could go unbeaten and still not win the league.

10. lewis

January 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

as previously said by someone else joe…last year leeds, end of.
    I think we are proving we are more solid and capable of grinding out games, wining at blackburn, everton, villa, man city and birmingham…all hard places to go without a doubt.
    I think because we play ‘great football’ no one ever mentions it when we grind out results. People say it often about chelsea and united as they are less easy on the eye (united used to be a joy to watch) so when they are not playing well and win everyone says they ‘grinded it out’

anyway, we have our ‘soon to be world class’ but very good GK in Chezzers.

The thing is, we may have not one a ‘trophy’ for the last five years but moving to a new stadium is one hell of a job, effecting the team considerably. You show me a united/chelsea when they do the same and i’ll show you a top 10 team at best.

laugh laugh

• Joe

January 26, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Just so we’re clear, you’re defending the title aspirations of Arsenal by saying that they got by Leeds, which Manchester United did not last year (on their way to not winning any domestic titles).

• lewis

January 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I dont think it is that clear, leeds were never mentioned until it was brought up by yourself. you based your comments on the fact that we struggled, yet went through in both competitions against leeds and ipswich respectively. then saying we dont have th stomach/gut for the title.

whilst I am here the whole article was related to arsenal and the possibility of them winning the carling cup now they are in the final, yet you bring up man utd to try and get some attention, no change there.

• Joe

January 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Hm, why might I bring up Manchester United, the current table leaders, in a commentary about an article assessing whether or not Arsenal can go “all the way”?

Does this mean you interpret “all the way” as winning the Carling Cup? If so, Arsenal has bigger problems than I thought.

• King Eric

January 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

it won’t happen, because we won’t leave old trafford, only expand it. glazers already tried to rename it the nike arena or something and obviously that didn’t fly. we already put in our time and had to even share maine road w/city after the bombing of old trafford during ww2.

11. MNUfan1991

January 26, 2011 at 11:26 am

Two. Carling Cup and the Emirates Cup.

12. Joe

January 26, 2011 at 8:51 am

Unrelated question Gaffer: your site lists Tottenham v. Arsenal on February 26th, but another says that Arsenal are playing the Carling Cup final on Feb 27th and are re-scheduling their game against Spurs. Can you confirm this?

• King Eric

January 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

yes, the derby is being rescheduled, but no confirmation of a date as of yet.

13. Joe

January 26, 2011 at 7:40 am

I think the real question is if Arsenal can survive a gut check game like Manchester United did yesterday. I don’t think they can.

• lewis

January 26, 2011 at 8:05 am

I dont think we would be 2 nil down to blackpool is the answer. And how the Cast iron pen was not given after rafael’s foul on varney i’ll never know. another back hander to the ref again no doubt

• Bishopville Red

January 26, 2011 at 8:45 am

Same old Arsenal. Always Whining.

• Joe

January 26, 2011 at 8:46 am

You wouldn’t be 2-nil down to Blackpool? Are you kidding me? You didn’t wake up until the second half of game two against Ipswich. You needed two games to get by Leeds. If you think Arsenal are not capable of losing to inferior competition then you aren’t paying attention.

• stevek

January 26, 2011 at 10:26 am

thats true. arsenal needed two games to get by leeds. I can’t seem to remember, but how many did manu need to get by leeds in last years FA cup?

• Earl Reed

January 26, 2011 at 11:21 am

Depends on your definition of “get by” I suppose.

• King Eric

January 26, 2011 at 11:29 am

west brom & newcastle, both newly promoted teams, one of which currently sits below blackpool. dropped pts. at wigan, etc. everyone knows arsenal can play great football and are capable of beating any team on their day, but it’s the same story w/them year after year; they don’t have the grit and winning mentality to grind games out when necessary to give them that much needed consistency. i think it’ll be the same this year. they’ll lose to barca in the cl and will fall short in the league again, while winning the reserves cup. they may go far in the fa cup, but won’t win it.

funny, awhile back wenger was quoted saying that he didn’t really consider the carling cup as a trophy, but just recently said how delighted he’d be to win it.

• King Eric

January 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

oh and i forgot to mention…not that they’re weaker opposition or anything, but arsenal also blew a two nil lead at home to spurs and lost the derby – champions don’t do that. that’s the perfect example of them still being weak mentally. but their main problem that wenger has failed to realize all these trophyless years, is that you can’t win without a quality centre back or keeper.

when they were the invincibles they had the likes of keown, adams, seaman, viera, etc. that’s the real difference for me anyway. look at any team that ever wins any of the big competitions, they are always solid at the back. saf has always started from and emphasizes the back first, which is part of why united have maintained such consistency over the years. i can’t see man united losing to citeh after being two nil up, sorry.

• Joe

January 26, 2011 at 12:38 pm

So you answer a charge against your team by attacking what another team did last year? Yes, Manchester United lost to Leeds last year. You know what else they did last year? Lost the title. But Arsenal, o mighty Arsenal, surely they’ll overcome their tendency to play down to their competition. I mean look at all the recent trophies they have that prove they can get it done!!

• Dave C

January 26, 2011 at 8:58 am

I dont think we would be 2 nil down to blackpool
        Hmmm sure, because Arsenal never screw up against weaker opposition…

• stevek

January 27, 2011 at 8:47 am

joe i think you missed my point which was it doesn’t really matter how a team plays in the FA cup, what matters is the league games. I think you need to relax a little its just a sport not life and death

• Joe

January 27, 2011 at 10:11 am

What a great debate tactic. When your point is weak you claim the other person is taking it too seriously.

I was just having some fun with you, as I always do with overly optimistic Arsenal fans. I guess that’s your definition of making it “life and death”.

• Troy

January 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

The refs, the pitch at OT, the winter solstice, the sun, the moon, and the stars. Gooners’ whining knows no bounds. But hey, when it starts with the gaffer, guess all the supporters will follow suit. Two losses to promoted sides and only seven points out of a possible 18 against top-5 sides…maybe if Arsenal (supporters) stopped worrying about every call that United gets (or seems to get) and worried more about not dropping points, they wouldn’t be five points behind. Besides, I didn’t hear them complaining when Lee Bowyer scored that controversial equaliser against United.

(Side Note: United have taken eight of a possible 12 points from top-5 sides.)