Connect with us

General

Atlanta Chiefs vs Manchester City, 1968: Friday Flashback Videos

This week’s episode of Friday Flashback Videos features a very rare video of a Manchester City from 1968 against the Atlanta Chiefs played at Atlanta’s Fulton-County Stadium, home to the baseball team the Atlanta Braves.

The friendly match was played just a few weeks after Manchester City had won the league championship under manager Malcolm Allison. According to Dave Brett Wasser, who found the video recording, Allison said prior to the match that the NASL was comparable to the Fourth Division in England. However, Atlanta won the match 3-2.

Apologies for the camera angle.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
10 Comments

10 Comments

1. Michael

May 1, 2012 at 8:58 am

I also just found this and was at this game and the previous one a few weeks earlier which the Chiefs also won. My memory is that Man City lost to the Chiefs in their first game and then after winning the rest of their US tour, challenged the Chiefs to a re-match, blaming jet lag, etc. for their initial loss and certain of a victory the second time around. And then the Chief won again! It was a great night for soccer in Atlanta. I recall a picture in the Atlanta paper the next day of a British columnist who had predicted a rout posing as if he were eating his column. The Chiefs were lucky to get 10,000 to a game but I believe this one had well over 20,000 there.

2. Scott

April 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I just saw this post and was very excited about it. I was actually there for this game. My dad, who neither liked nor understood soccer, took me. It was fun watching the “4th division” guys beat the champs. If I’m not mistaken, Manchester City lost a few other games on this tour.

3. William

February 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm

MLS was just as bad at beginning playing to quarter filled US football stadiums with the yardlines showing.Still hate that to this day,nothing worse than seeing a pitch covered w/ hashmarks, yardlines and numbers.New england still has this problem.

4. atl claret

January 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm

great video, would love to see Atlanta get its act together on an MLS bid

5. AtlantaPompey

January 21, 2011 at 11:18 am

I grew up with an Atlanta Chiefs pennant on the wall of my bedroom. I attended a couple of matches at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (no apostrophe). They had good crowds. Most of the crowd in this video is under the camera. Since it was the middle of the baseball season, the Braves’ dirt infield could not have been covered, even temporarily. The football seats for this convertible stadium were probably out, which gave the crowd on the near side great views. The seats on the far side would have been terrible.

6. jose

January 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

gaffer, im trying to remember the amazing goal that best had playing in the nasl, he went past a couple defenders and it was like a glimpse of his young self. by the way im buying a strikers jersey for this upcoming season in ft.lauderdale.

7. trickybrkn

January 21, 2011 at 8:26 am

You can see why the NASL was not the best of leagues. The baseball diamond exposed, Man U in town and the lower deck isn’t even a quarter filled.

I’m old enough to have attend a NASL match in Philadelphia at Franklin Field. The Atoms was the club’s name. That same summer my soccer team went to USA V England at JFK stadium. Bobby Moore played for the USA squad made up of NASL players not the national team. My main memory was running around with my team mates in empty stadiums. Compare that to today MLS in Philadelphia, packed stadium, chanting, fired up fan base, soccer hungry…

Its like night and day.

Great find BTW.

• George

January 21, 2011 at 11:20 pm

trickybrkn,

It’s not United in the video. It’s Manchester’s other team. United had just won the European Cup that May, becoming the first English team to do so.