Connect with us

General

What Soccer Gifts Are On Your Holiday Wish List?

398079 02: Children's letters to Santa Claus are seen in Manhattan's General Post Office December 3, 2001 in New York City. The New York Post Office's 'Operation Santa Claus' received 280,000 letters addressed to Santa last year, many of which were from needy children and were answered by members of the public and postal workers. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

I don’t think a year has gone by where I haven’t asked for a soccer-related gift for Christmas or where my Christmas wish-list didn’t contain at least one soccer item. This year is no different.

If I was to be unrealistic (which I sometimes am), here would be my dream-come-true holiday wish list:

• A promotion for Swansea City from the Championship to the Premier League, and
  • A local Major League Soccer team in South Florida.

See, I’m not asking for much. Right? 😉

But realistically speaking, I have a few soccer books on my wish-list such as Pay As You Play by Paul Tomkins, a book about Panini stickers and Bobby Robson’s autobiography.

But I’m more curious about you, the reader. What soccer-related items are on your wish list that you’re hoping to find under the tree Christmas morning or during the holidays? Share your wish list in the comments section below.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
25 Comments

25 Comments

1. Dianne

February 19, 2011 at 1:42 am

Heyy guys,

I need some advice. My brother’s b’day is coming up and I wanted to gift him something related to soccer. He’s a huge fan of the EPL and follows soccer religiously! A friend of mine suggested a site called “fold-a-goal.com” and there are so many stuffs about soccer, i dont know what to gift him. i am confused whether i should gift him a Soccer Ball or a simple Soccer jersey. I am not sure. 😐 If you could visit the website and let me know what is the best thing i can gift my brother. budget isn’t an issue.

Cheers!
    Dianne

2. SantaClaus

December 23, 2010 at 10:30 am

High on my list is the continued growth of soccer in this country. This would force the main TV networks to talk up the sport and that would mean we would see more soccer coverage.

I would also like to see the TV networks like FSC in its many forms, ESPN, Gol TV, Univision, and others continue to do well so that we would benefit from seeing even more soccer games on TV.

I would prefeer to see more games in any definition than a few in HD.

Happy holidays to all.

3. Footballfool

December 23, 2010 at 6:47 am

MLS – > If not South Florida then Tampa Bay or Orlando.

4. David G

December 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm

“FSC HD ON COMCAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Second!

5. Paul

December 22, 2010 at 8:58 pm

How about U-Verse offering FSC Soccer Plus for the Miami market. Boy, did we get screwed when Setanta went belly-up

6. Smokey Bacon

December 22, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Family:Life, Death and Football by Michael Calvin.

7. Kevin

December 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Both FM11 and FIFA 11 are on my list.

8. Dan

December 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm

FSC HD ON COMCAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Adam

December 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Is that the white one?

• Brian

December 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Yes, that’s it—they played in it against Chelsea several weeks back

• Adam

December 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I like it a lot too. I wish the Toon’s white kit was more like Everton’s. Everton does loose a little credibility for the change kits this season though.

10. Brian

December 22, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Everton’s classy third kit with Coleman naming…here’s hoping it will make the journey from the UK in time.

• The Gaffer

December 22, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Brian, the third kit is one of my favorites shirts of the year. Looks brilliant. You lucky man!

• Brian

December 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Agreed! And miles ahead of the “Power Pink” Away kit.

11. jbm

December 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Continued improvement in form, good transfer market acquisitions, and hopefully a place in the Champions League next year for LFC.

A time when a top ten of worsts or bads doesn’t have a picture of an LFC player at the top. (Kidding Gaffer)

• The Gaffer

December 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Thanks Joseph for the idea about the LFC player picture!! I’ll get working on it 😉

12. Adam

December 22, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Fox and local cable providers to get it sorted so everyone in the US has FSC and FSC+ in hd. That and European footy next year for Newcastle. I’ve been extra good this year.

13. Kal

December 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Santa,
    The Premiere League players and managers have been asking for one for ages. Thanks for the winter break but, can we get some football already?

Everyone who visits this site.

14. DeeRexBox

December 22, 2010 at 11:57 am

Silverware for the Gunners. And a sugar cookie w/ soccer ball icing. And a pony.

15. nc

December 22, 2010 at 11:51 am

Whats the matter Gaffer, the NASL’s Miami FC doesn’t do it for you?

Unfortunately SFL doesn’t have it when it comes to support for pro sports. You’d think demographically that soccer and baseball would be good draws but the Fusion failed, and the Marlins escapades are well documented. I really hope I’m wrong but I think once the shine on the new Marlins stadium at the OB site fades, they’re staring at 8K-9K a night just like they’ve gotten at Joe Robbie for the last 17 years.

• The Gaffer

December 22, 2010 at 12:02 pm

NC, I agree with your prediction about the Marlins. That’s a recipe for disaster. But I disagree with the argument that “soccer will never succeed in South Florida.” There’s a population of 5 million people. It only takes a very small percentage of those people to show up to make it succeed. Unfortunately, Miami Fusion made so many mistakes.

I support Miami FC, but I would much prefer a MLS team.

• nc

December 22, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I hope you are right. I would love it too. Its very hard to put a finger on the things that drive the direction of the entertainment dollar down here. I’ve given up trying to answer that question.

• The Gaffer

December 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm

NC, South Florida is a very difficult market to crack, no doubt. Part of the reason is because there is very little community. I wrote a piece about my 7 ideas of how to make Miami FC (now christened the Strikers) succeed next year at http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/7-keys-to-success-for-strikers-in-south-florida/10275

• nc

December 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Excellent piece. Marketing is huge like you pointed out, even if it starts at the ground level like getting kids from the local youth leagues to attend games regularly.

16. LFC Fan