Manchester United are in discussions to launch a pre-season tour to the United States next summer, according to reports.
Rio Ferdinand, Manchester United’s centre back, revealed the news in a tweet (pictured above) to NFL athlete Chad Ochocinco this past Saturday. Ferdinand mentioned “We [will be] in the States [next] August” during a conversion on Twitter between the two athletes.
An unnamed source revealed to EPL Talk that Manchester United are considering playing one of their pre-season friendlies at Wrigley Field, the iconic baseball stadium that is famous for its ivy covered brick outfield wall and is the home to the Chicago Cubs. Chicago is the world headquarters of Aon, official shirt sponsors of Manchester United Football Club, so the news makes perfect sense. However, discussions are still ongoing to have United play at the 41,000 seater.
Manchester United last toured North America in the summer of 2010 when they played friendlies in Toronto, Philadelphia, Kansas City, Houston and Guadalajara. The tour was a rousing success for United and saw the debut of Mexican superstar Javier Hernandez (aka Chicharito). In previous years, Manchester United conducted pre-season tours of North America in 1950, 1952, 1960, 1970, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1982, 2003, 2004 and 2010.
If you live in North America, which cities would you recommend that Manchester United include in their summer tour? Post your suggestions in the comments section below.
Hat tip to Brian Hermreck for sending in the news tip regarding Ferdinand’s tweet. If you have a news tip, send them in to thegaffer[at]epltalk[dot]com
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season as Mane hints at exit
- Tirana inhabitants brace for Conference League final after clashes
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season
- Greatest soccer film ever made? Victory deserves a consideration
- Boehly’s Chelsea takeover puts US tycoon in spotlight
- Stade de France gets new pitch for Champions League final
- What next for Chelsea after sale is approved?
- Neymar wants to stay at PSG despite rumours over his future
- Chelsea sale gets green light from UK government
- UK government authorises sale of Chelsea FC