In this preview of the upcoming Serie A matches, I’ll be looking at the interesting matches, and the two teams which recently got new coaches, Genoa and Cagliari. Regarding Italy’s game against Romania, I was unable to watch it, and therefore I didn’t write a match report. The match finished 1-1, with Marica scoring against the Azzurri, and then scoring an own goal off of Quagliarella’s flick from a corner.
But back to the Serie A, while last weekend was filled with big clashes like the Milan derby, and Juventus – Roma, this week still has some interesting fixtures.
Roma are hosting Udinese at the Stadio Olimpico, and after a terrible start from Giudolin’s side, they’ve really picked it up, especially after their 4-0 win against Lecce last week. Di Natale looked fantastic as he scored a hat-trick, and the entire side was playing very well. Roma on the other hand, drew against Juventus 1-1, a good result, but they’ll still want to make sure that they can win this weekend against Udinese, and assert themselves as scudetto contenders.
Juventus are travelling away to Genoa, where Gasperini was sacked and replaced with Ballardini. A veteran coach in Italy, Ballardini has coached the likes of Palermo, Cagliari, and Lazio, this appointment is his biggest yet. Last weekend he got the side to grind out a 1-0 win away against Cagliari, with Ranocchia scoring a late header from a corner in the 84th minute. But things will have to be different when the rossoblu face Juventus at home.
While Gasperini is one of my favorite coaches who loves attacking football, Ballardini is another great coach in my opinion. Without a doubt he’ll organize Genoa, but whether he can manage to defeat Juventus, we’ll see. How do you think he’ll do? Make sure to share your opinion by commenting below!
Pierpaolo Bisoli also lost his job as Cagliari coach recently, and the man who has replaced him at Cagliari’s helm is Roberto Donadoni. With his side just out of the relegation zone, Donadoni will have to start well by winning away against Brescia. A very important match considering the two sides are tied on points, and goal difference seperates them with Cagliari 17th in the table and Brescia 18th.
I’m not sure how Donadoni will do, and I have always been slightly doubtful of his managerial abilities. While he might be a great tactician, I don’t think that he’s able to motivate his players properly, which was noticeable when he was Italy’s head coach for the European Championships of 2008. How do you rate Donadoni? Is he underestimated by the general public? And how do you think he’ll do, comment below!
And a coach who’s being evaluated right now is Rafa Benitez. The Spaniard apparently has two matches to show that he deserves to remain as Inter’s coach, away at Chievo this weekend and at home against Twente in the Champions League. But the coach will have to do this without his Brazilian starlet Philippe Coutinho, who has pulled his hamstring and will be out for about two to three weeks. While I think that Benitez will survive and manage to grind out two wins, the fact that yet another Inter player has fallen to injury is concerning.
What do you think about this weekend’s upcoming action? Share your thoughts by commenting below!
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Crystal Palace vs. Chelsea on US TV
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Brighton on US TV
- Where to find São Paulo vs. Independiente del Valle on US TV
- Where to find PSG vs. Nice on US TV
- Where to find Inter vs. Roma on US TV
- Where to find Arsenal vs. Spurs on US TV
- Arsenal vs Spurs: TV coverage details
- Premier League All-Star game reportedly still in the works
- Christopher Nkunku already completed Chelsea medical – reports
- Bundesliga adds two new statistics to broadcast, app