Owen Hargreaves suffered another injury set back just six minutes in to his Manchester United comeback. The likeable midfielder was making his first start in over two years, but was forced off early on with a hamstring complaint.
Speaking after United’s 2-1 over Wolves, assistant manager Mike Phelan admitted the injury to Hargreaves was very disappointing. He said: “Obviously he is down in the dumps. He has put a lot of work in and today we took a gamble with him. We put him in to the frame and thought we could get a performance out of him. That was a risk and it didn’t work out for us.
“He has to overcome the slight problems. It is unfortunate for him and we feel for him but he’ll be okay. We’re not quite sure what the injury is at the moment but we’ll find that out.”
I think I speak for the whole footballing community when I say that I hope this is only a minor setback in the former Bayern Munich mans recovery. It is a real shame to see such a talented and energetic footballer have his career tainted by a persistent injury.
Hargreaves won the support of nearly all England fans with his dedication and commitment during the 2006 World Cup. Before then he was often lambasted by the Three Lions faithful but eventually his character and ability would win him plenty of admirers.
He now really needs to dig in to his tough character and overcome this setback and if there is anybody that could cope with another injury it is Hargreaves. Many would have given up on football after such a long spell out through injury, but testament to his commitment Hargreaves stuck at it, and now really deserves some reprieve from constant injuries.
A hamstring injury shouldn’t see a long term spell on the sidelines for Hargreaves and would I encourage people not to ridicule him for been ‘injury prone’. Niggling injuries are only to be expected after a long time on the sidelines, but will become rarer as he build up his general fitness.
I for one hope that we see him lining up for United again in the very near future, because if anyone deserves to play football at the top level, it is Hargreaves.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Rangers on US TV
- Where to find Inter vs. Barcelona on US TV
- Where to find Frankfurt vs. Spurs on US TV
- Thomas Partey’s health is necessary for Arsenal and Ghana
- Vinícius and Foden should be in the ‘best young talent’ talk
- US Soccer releases report detailing abusive behavior in NWSL
- Book review of ‘How to Win the World Cup’ by Chris Evans
- Manchester United defeat highlights Ten Hag’s need for rotation
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV