Connect with us

General

Roy Hodgson Cannot See A Priest On A Mountain Of Sugar: Video

Rafa Benitez came out on the attack Monday in yet another bizarre press conference where he inferred that Roy Hodgson “cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar.” No, I’m not making this up and I have no idea what he’s talking about, but watch the above video to see proof of how much of a raving lunatic Benitez is.

At this moment, I’m sure Mario Rosenstock of Special 1 TV fame is licking his chops at the prospect of writing Rafa into his script for the next episode. Remember, it was only a couple of weeks ago when Benitez said in a press conference that “White liquid in a bottle. If I see John the milkman in the Wirral, where I was living, with this bottle, I’d say, ‘It’s milk, sure’.”

After bizarro statements by Benitez on sugar and milk, what can we expect from his next press conference? Stories about bread and other white substances?

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
27 Comments

27 Comments

1. pete

November 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm

this is an epl site and you had no idea what rafa was talking about?lazy journalism there.rafa is spot on with this answer to a question,which you choose not to show,so hardly an attack.hodgson started this shit the sooner he goes the better for liverpool.

2. Dave C

November 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I don’t really like the tone of this article. You’re essentially looking at a foreign guy using a foreign metaphor (one that is quite easy to understand if you think about it), and assuming that because it’s a little unusual to English speakers, then Raffa must be crazy?

I also think it’s a little hypocritical, since I remember this website heavily criticizing Efan Ekoku’s ignorance of foreign cultures during the WC, when he assumed the Spanish anthem MUST have lyrics.

• The Gaffer

November 2, 2010 at 10:36 pm

There’s a big difference between insulting a nation, as Ekoku’s flub did when he criticized the Spanish players for not singing their national anthem, versus the ramblings of Mr. Benitez.

Sorry, but in both of Rafa’s cases, I had no idea what Rafa was talking about regarding sugar and milk. After someone explained them to me, they made more sense.

• soonerscotty

November 2, 2010 at 11:30 pm

You’d think with the very large hispanic population isn south Florida you could just ask a guy at the local pub for a translation…but, that would require investigative reporting not just a repost of a flawed AP post.

• Jay

November 3, 2010 at 8:17 am

To be fair here, I don’t imagine that the majority of the Hispanic population in Florida are going to be aware of spanish (as in Spain spanish) idioms. It’s much more of an “Ay que cute” society.

Much like the majority of English as a primary language Americans would have no idea of what at sixes and sevens means. At least Rafa’s are pretty clear. Try and figure out 6’s and 7’s just based on the words…

• Dave C

November 3, 2010 at 10:42 am

I don’t think whether you’re insulting one man or a nation really makes a difference (and for what it’s worth, I think there’s a big difference saying something ignorant like Ekoku did, and an intentional insult such as calling someone a raving lunatic, but that’s another matter).

But the point is, in both cases, both you and Ekoku lacked the knowledge of a foreign culture, and made yourselves look daft. Now I’m not saying it’s a great crime to be ignorant of a foreign culture – we can’t all be experts on every culture known to man. Ekoku’s ignorance was kind of forgiveable, since it was said spontaneously, and it seems fairly reasonable to assume that most national anthems have lyrics.

Your insult on the other hand is worse -it’s premeditated and seems almost wilfully ignorant of the fact that foreign people may use foreign figures of speech. You’ve heard this strange expression, and rather than think that maybe it’s simply a foreign idiom that could probably be explained by a quick google-search, you’ve assumed Rafa is simply a “raving lunatic”. And what’s more, although people have subsequently pointed out the meaning of his metaphor, you still describe Rafa’s speech as “rambling” (implying that he’s crazy).

And some of the things you say in your defense sound like you’re clutching at straws to defend yourself:

“I have no idea what color garb a priest, rabbi or vicar wear, so the metaphor was completely lost on me” …seriously? You claim you have no knowledge of the stereotypical image of a priest with a black outfit and white collar? I find it hard to believe that anyone in the western world would be unfamiliar with that stereotype.

And even if you don’t know the colour of a priest’s costume, the metaphor is still fairly obvious. A guy (wearing ANY colour) standing on top of a mountain of salt would be extremely noticeable to anyone. Hence by saying Hodgson wouldn’t see it, Rafa is saying that Hodgson fails to see the obvious.

“He’d be better off using Spanish metaphors when speaking to the Spanish press”
        Maybe he didn’t realize the phrase is not widely used outside Spain, and assumed English people would grasp it easily. As an Englishman in the US, I can empathize with this – I sometimes use English phrases which I assume are understood everywhere, only to be met with blank stares – I thought you’d be familiar with this situation too. It doesn’t make us “raving lunatics” for using foreign figures of speech.

3. Dude Fellow

November 2, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Wait, what happened to my post?

4. Dude Fellow

November 2, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Off topic for The Gaffer:

‘Soccer Talk Live’ appears to have been canceled, but I don’t think it’s been formally reported by anyone yet. It’s your scoop if you want it!

5. Jay

November 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I don’t get it.

The AP was wrong. You have mentioned several times, in defense of yourself, that you are (my words here) just parroting the AP report. If you re-report incorrect information, that doesn’t make it correct.

I don’t speak really speak Spanish, so I don’t know if this is a literal translation of a common expression but it was pretty clear what he meant. Irrespective of the AP report, I find your derision of him for his manner of speech low class.

• The Gaffer

November 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

The AP is not wrong. Benitez verbally attacked Hodgson.

As for Benitez, it was not clear what he meant. The expression, just as the one about milk, uses a Spanish metaphor that the vast majority of English-speaking people have no clue what it means. He’d be better off using Spanish metaphors when speaking to the Spanish press.

• soonerscotty

November 2, 2010 at 11:23 pm

And I don’t suppose anyone considers it a verbal attack when Hodgson straight up lies about Rafa’s tenure??

I find it interesting that Rafa hasn’t said anything except in response to questions by the UK press. And what he has said isn’t far off and definitely isn’t an attack. The man is responding to accusations by Hodgson…false accusations at that.

Hodgson for England!!

• Jay

November 3, 2010 at 8:06 am

I don’t speak spanish and I get it.

Stereotypical image of a priest is black garb, white collar. In fact google images of priest and five of the first eight meet the description (of the other three, only one is a priest, wearing white and red).

You often have great articles that I enjoy reading, but this was lazy journalism. And, no, if person lies about you in the media, and you respond to that… it isn’t an attack.

• The Gaffer

November 3, 2010 at 8:57 am

Sorry but I have no idea what color garb a priest, rabbi or vicar wear, so the metaphor was completely lost on me.

• soonerscotty

November 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm

OK, seriously, I may be a LFC supporter but, I’m not one of those blind Rafa backers (though I do believe he’s a waaaayyyy better manager than Hodgson.

But, seriously, I find it hard to believe someone in western civilization doesn’t know that the most common Christian clerical garb is black. I cannot believe an ex-pat from the UK has never ever seen Father Ted. Seriously??

• The Gaffer

November 3, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Soonerscotty, one thing to remember about British people is that we are, as a country, far less religious than countries like Spain and the United States. I’ve been in a catholic church once or maybe twice in my life. Both times were for weddings so the priests were wearing ceremonial garb.

I’ve seen Father Ted a couple of times before, but I haven’t paid attention to what color clothing they were wearing, until now.

6. che

November 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm

understand word or sentence and then may you can say raving lunatic!!!! dont do that again…

7. JG

November 2, 2010 at 12:46 pm

“Raving lunatic” is a gross exaggeration. God forbid that a saying in another language doesn’t translate properly into English.

“Came out on the attack” is also just patently false.

8. MK

November 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Umm.. Gaffer? They’re expressions, not proof that Rafa is raving lunatic. The milk in the bottle refers to the idea that if you see something white in a bottle, you assume it’s milk. Similar to “if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it’s a duck”.

The priest on a sugar mountain refers to missing something that’s obvious. Priests wear black, a mountain of sugar would be completely white.

I think more prominent in this press conference are Rafa’s comments on Dalglish’s role and Hodgson’s focus, which you seem to have completely disregarded.

• Duck

November 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Agreed, Benitez is just defending himself from Hodgson making claims that were absolutely false.

9. Nick

November 2, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Mountain of sugar? Seems Rafa has been watching Scarface one too many times. Maybe someone should check his nose for leftover “sugar.”

10. Chris McQuade

November 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Benitez is Spanish, Priests in spain are usually catholic. Catholic priests wear black. Sugar is white.

You cannot see black on a mountain of white. = You cannot see what is obvious.

It’s all well and good to chuckle at Rafa Benitez’ home sayings but if you were to say to him Ichiro’s favorite saying he may well laugh at you.

Oh, and if you see some cows they are not better than your cows, they are cows. FACT.