To say the truth, this weekend’s Serie A fixtures weren’t that exciting. There was no match this weekend with more than three goals scored in it, and there were two goalless matches. This weekend there were few memorable results, but there were five things to note, regarding the Serie A.
1. Pirlo saves AC Milan with a wondergoal
AC Milan only managed to defeat Parma 1-0 this weekend, and while you might think Ibrahimovic scored the goal, instead it was the veteran Pirlo. Pirlo’s goal was fantastic, an amazing shot far from the goal which dipped right after clearing Mirante’s gloves, flying in right through the top right-hand corner. While this effort was amazing, it wasn’t followed up by a second or a third by the rossoneri. And with the world-class players that they have in their attack, you’d expect a little more than their slightly passive performance against Parma. But let’s look at the positives for AC Milan, they managed to win. And while many other teams weren’t able to find a goal, AC Milan was able to, and they won three important points.
2. Lazio continue to fly
Lazio find themselves at the top of the table, with only one loss and one draw, the Roman side have won four times so far in the Serie A. While there are plenty of reasons why Lazio is doing so well, in my opinion the main one is Edy Reja. One of my favorite coaches who sets up sides to play an attacking style while still having a solid defence. Lazio defeated Brescia this weekend with Mauri scoring thanks to a sublime through pass from Hernanes. But we’ll have to see if they can continue their good form, and push for a Champions League spot, or whether they’ll die down into the midtable.
3. Roma suffer with continued inconsistency
While last week was the perfect chance to kickstart their season, Roma have stumbled yet again this weekend. The giallorossi suffered a 2-0 loss to Napoli giving Walter Mazzarri’s side plenty of chances to score. Right now, Roma find themselves 19th in the table, having won only one game. While I didn’t think that Roma could be a title contender this season, I certainly expected a little more from them. If Ranieri’s side can’t begin to string some wins together, then it could be a very glum season for any Roma fans.
4. Ilicic scores a “Goal of the season” contender
While Pirlo’s goal was majestic, I certainly preferred Ilicic’s against Fiorentina. Palermo defeated Fiorentina 2-1 at the Artemio Franchi, and it was the opening goal which left me stunned. A superb left foot strike from the slovenian which flew into the top left hand corner, impossible for Frey to keep out. It’s probably one of the best goals I’ve seen in a long time, and I truly appreciated it when I saw it from the camera which was behind the player. From this viewpoint I saw the ball swerve and move around until it finally slotted in beautifully into the back of the net. If you haven’t seen this goal, be sure to check it out.
5. Juventus show signs of recovery
This weekend’s big game was Inter Milan against Juventus, and both sides played a good match creating plenty of chances. And while Inter Milan were slightly handicapped thanks to their large amount of injuries, Juventus played a fantastic match against the European champions. Krasic was a constant threat on the right wing, and he even created a goal for Iaquinta which was disallowed for offside. Quagliarella missed a great chance in front of Julio Cesar who was particularly inspired on the night, and Del Piero was subbed on for the final ten minutes of the match, providing an attacking incentive. A great result for a stuttering Juventus side, and from here the bianconeri will look to grab three relatively easy points at home against Lecce coming up.
What were your thoughts on this weekend’s action? Was Pirlo’s goal or Ilicic’s goal better? Comment below!
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family