It was only a few years ago when I had a conversation with my work colleague Jeremy that I suddenly realized how your favorite position on the soccer field has a profound impact on how you view the sport.
Let me explain.
Growing up, I played every position on the pitch at one time or other. But the position I loved playing the most was midfield, especially on the wings. In hindsight, I may have had an affinity to playing as a winger because of watching one of my boyhood heroes David Giles, who would later go on to play for Crystal Palace and Birmingham City, tear down the wings at Swansea. Even today, I love seeing wingers with pace and dribbling skills who are gutsy enough to take men on and bomb down the wings.
Having played as a left winger and right winger during childhood and on a travel team and into high school, I didn’t realize it but my lens on soccer was framed by my years playing as a winger. The realization was very apparent when my friend Jeremy and I were talking about defense, his favorite position, and which defenders were strong and which ones were awful. I remember him singling out Tal Ben Haim when he was at Chelsea. But for a former winger such as myself, the weaknesses of Ben Haim’s game wasn’t as apparent to me because I was still thinking like a winger. Jeremy could see things with the Israeli defender that I would never see. Experience goes a long way.
So as someone who used to play down the wing, footballers such as Gareth Bale and Adam Johnson light up my day when I get to see them perform at the top of their game.
But what about you? Which position was your favorite when you played soccer? Who are your favorite current players in that position? Share your stories in the comments section below.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Chelsea sale to Boehly consortium to be completed on Monday
- Liverpool and Real Madrid ready for Champions League final rematch
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Real Madrid on US TV
- Hrustic, Rogic spearhead Australia squad for crunch World Cup playoff
- Deal Alert: Best streaming deals this Memorial Day Weekend
- Africa beckons for Royal after dramatic draw with Orlando Pirates
- Regret? Skupski prioritises French Open over Champions League ticket
- Klopp urges Liverpool to show Madrid who’s boss in Champions League final
- Ancelotti says Real Madrid can achieve ‘the maximum’ by winning Champions League
- Mancini thanks Chiellini before Italy send-off against Argentina