The Serie A has produced another slate of interesting results, and with even more on the way this midweek, the table positions are beginning to fix themselves. If you’re interested in reading about how AC Milan and Fiorentina did at home (not well) in their two matches, you can click here, but please read on to find out five interesting things to note from Serie A this weekend
1. Inter Milan already beginning to run away with the title
While we’re still at the early stages of this Serie A season, the team which is showing the most consistency out of the title contenders has to be Inter Milan. The nerazzurri got another win against Palermo with two goals from Eto’o who played spectacularly, and while this was happening, Roma conceded two late goals against Bologna to draw 2-2 at the Stadio Olimpico. Although Juventus won 4-0 against Udinese, the results from Delneri’s team are still slightly sporadic considering that they’ve got a win, loss, and a draw so far. So Inter are 2nd, behind Cesena on goal difference, and if they can win their next tough game against Bari, then maybe the Serie A will be a little less interesting then we thought this season.
2. Milito can’t score anymore
Last season’s wonder-striker Diego Milito is having lots of trouble finding the net this season. Although he found the back of the net once in the Champions League against Twente, that was an own goal, dragging his side down to a 2-2 draw. Against Palermo he had a few very good chances, and while normally he would’ve put them away without thinking too much, this season all his shots are going wide or over the bar. Luckily for Inter fans, Eto’o is pulling Milito’s weight by scoring more and more goals for Inter Milan. Maybe Il Principe will find his scoring boots, maybe he won’t, what do you think? Be sure to comment below!
3. Cesena continue to win
Cesena won yet again this past week against Lecce, although it wasn’t an extravagant result like the one they pulled off against AC Milan, they played well as they won 1-0. It was Bogdani who scored a goal which reminds me of some of Ronaldinho’s, a perfectly placed ball onto the far post, curling across the ground. Now Cesena are first in the Serie A, they’ll have to play away against Catania this midweek, if they grab another win there, they could be serious contenders for a Europa League spot this season.
4. Roma need to win next match with Inter coming up
Roma have put out a poor display of results, right now they’re placed 17th, with just two points so far. They’ve drawn two and lost one, and they’ve yet to play Juventus, AC Milan, Bari, Inter Milan or Napoli, teams which can seriously dismantle this disorganized side. This midweek they have the perfect chance to raise the morale before they play an extremely important match against Inter Milan on the weekend. Their midweek fixture is away against Brescia, and then the weekend they’ll be at home, hosting Inter Milan. If Roma doesn’t pull it together by then, I could see some bad results coming for the giallorossi, and maybe even Ranieri being sacked.
5. Genoa continue to crumble
After a summer of signings galore, you’d expect Genoa to challenge for a Champions League spot this season, but instead Gasperini’s side is having trouble collecting wins. After their disappointing 3-1 loss to Chievo at home, where they scored first and then let Chievo come back, they did a similar thing this weekend. Things looked good as Toni scored the opener against Parma from the penalty spot, but then Parma pulled back a goal to draw 1-1. A disappointing result, and hopefully they’ll pick up this midweek when they host Fiorentina at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.
What were your thoughts regarding this weekend of Serie A action? Share your thoughts below!
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family