While Robert Huth’s stoppage time strike may have earned Stoke their first Premier League win of the season, the night will forever be remembered for the unbelievable dedication shown by Potters boss Tony Pulis.
Hours after the death of his Mother, Pulis arrived at the Britannia Stadium to inspire his side to a dramatic turn around. His return gave everybody at the ground a boost and no doubt pushed them on to victory.
Potters assistant manager admits the arrival of Pulis was a surprise: “”That’s Tony, he’s passionate about his football club,” He told Sky Sports.
“He’s had a very sad day, but he wanted to get here and he wanted to be part of it. We are glad he did because he’s the manager of this football club and we wanted him here.
“He’s a great manager. He’s done fantastic here. We have got the result we wanted, so we are all pleased.”
Pulis has certainly endeared himself to me with his actions tonight and I hazard a guess that the Stoke manager’s actions will have seen a lot more warm to him. Often criticised for his tactics one thing you could never criticise Pulis for was a lack of commitment, and that has only been reinforced further after tonight.
Unfortunately the criticism over Pulis’ method will always remain, and no doubt I will be the first to lambast Stoke for their physical long-ball game in the future. But right now I have nothing but admiration for Pulis and would like to this opportunity to pass on my condolences to Pulis and his family during this difficult time.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Blackpool’s Daniels ends 32-year wait for gay UK male footballer to come out
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week