Connect with us

General

Zvjezdan Misimovic Leaves Wolfsburg For Galatasaray

Deemed Surplus To Requirements After Diego's Arrival From Juventus.

Wolfsburg playmaker Zvjezdan Misimovic has completed a move to Turkey with Galatasaray after having his first-team place with Die Wolfe taken by new arrival Diego.

Misimovic moved to Wolfsburg from Nurnberg in 2008, and helped Die Wolfe to the Bundesliga title under ex-manager Felix Magath. Misimovic’s off the ball movement and creativity was an essential part of a Wolfsburg side that pushed Bayern Munich out of top spot, but has been pushed aside this summer since the arrival of Steve McClaren. Misimovic fell further out of favor with the arrival of Diego from Juventus this summer.

Misimovic has secured a transfer to Galatasaray, where he has signed a four-year contract with the Turkish giants.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
  • Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
  • Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more

6 Comments

6 Comments

1. samir

September 6, 2010 at 8:27 am

I am from Bosnia and I am very surprised at the high regard Misimovic that I think is justified, I think the Wolfsburg made a mistake and that this will be felt even think that because of this move very quickly to go and Dzeko for which I am frankly surprised that he did not gone. Misimovic I agree that he could not refuse this offer, a safe place for the first 11 in galatasaray who has a great tradition and a very good team that could do something in two or three year’s I’m amazed that some Italian club did not notice how good Misimovic with an overview of the game, definitely better than Diego, so in Italy because of their modes of play means a lot, I think there are review games like Andrea Pirilo and that Italy was great.

2. Diriye

September 2, 2010 at 6:01 am

“Misimovic is surely at least as good as Diego, in my opinion: superior.”

Totally agree. He reads the game better than Diego. Excellent player overall.

3. byronic

September 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

I think the dynamic of the reasons for the transfer are slightly misconstrued here. Diego was brought to Wolfsburg precisely because Misimovic was looking to leave – I do not think they would have bought him otherwise, since Misimovic is surely at least as good as Diego, in my opinion: superior.
    But yes, Galatasaray was a new challenge and the salary was probably too good. But I still think he might return to Germany or go to Italy or Spain in a year or two. An interesting transfer and I’m going to follow him there.

4. Niccolo

August 31, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I don’t really like it when players move to relatively weaker leagues like Turkey, or the Greek league. I’d rather have a player like Misimovic remain in one of Europe’s best leagues and show what he can do there. Your thoughts Dylan?

• Dylan Thomas

August 31, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I do agree with you, and I do think the best players should play on the biggest stages, but I think Misimovic had to move on to continue to progress his career. I mean, sitting on the bench behind Diego isn’t exactly what a player who has the class and quality of Misimovic should be doing. Playing on a team like Galatasaray, Misimovic will be a key first-team player, he’ll win trophies and he’ll get European football every year, and Misimovic will continue to impress and fight for a place on the Bosnian national team.

So yes, I’d love it if he stayed in the Bundesliga or went to England or Italy, but Galatasaray prepared a heavy offer for him in terms of wages, and offered him a key place in the side. Really, it’s an offer he couldn’t refuse. He’s young, he’s fantastic, and he wants to be playing football in a team where he is an important player, not playing rotation with Diego. Good move for Misimovic, but it’s a loss for the Bundesliga.

5. Nick

August 31, 2010 at 9:21 pm

One of the best players of Wolfsburg for me, great signing from Galatasaray.

Let’s hope his career doesn’t go down but way up where it should be.