Inter Milan have continued their dominance in Italy, while I questioned whether they could continue for much longer here, but they’ve continued without much trouble. Inter defeated Roma 3-1 at the San Siro to claim their 5th Italian Super Cup, putting them level with AC Milan. Here’s the match report below, and if you’re interested in reading about the Spanish Super Cup which Barcelona won, click here.
Roma was the better team in the first half, and they went ahead with Riise thanks to Lucio being positionally asleep. Roma were dangerous many more times, but Vucinic and Menez were imprecise in front of goal, and Julio Cesar showing why he’s the best keeper in the world. Inter equalized before halftime with Vucinic and Juan practically passing Pandev into the back of the net, a fluke goal which changed everything for Roma.
The second half was relatively one sided with Eto’o scoring twice to completely crush any of Roma’s hopes. Sneijder was brilliant as he gave sublime assists along with Eto’o who’s dribbling was fantastic as he played closer to the goal. Diego Milito on the other hand wasn’t fit enough and he missed a great chance in front of goal, and another player with a bad night was Lucio who gave Roma their goal and was positionally suspect during the game.
Adriano was subbed in, but he touched the ball once, only to give it away, showing that maybe he isn’t ready to play for Roma. And a peculiarity is that the referee Bergonzi was very one-sided with his decisions, a valid goal disallowed for Inter, and many free kicks around Roma’s penalty box (which Sneijder would’ve been very dangerous from), weren’t given. But in the end, Inter Milan had little trouble and they dominated the second half, with Benitez trying out to play a backline of 5 in the dying minutes… formation change perhaps? We’ll see when Inter play Atletico Madrid in the UEFA European Supercup August 27th.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family