Prandelli is the future: a coach with an attacking style and a mindset which understands the need of youth in a team. Now, with Prandelli’s first match as Italy coach coming up August 10th, against the Ivory Coast, the ex-Fiorentina coach has called up a provisional squad of 30 players. In the squad there are 13 players who played in the World Cup with Lippi, and there’s certainly a younger group compared to the team which went to South Africa.
Here’s the provisional squad for the friendly against the Ivory Coast which will take place August 10th at West Ham’s stadium, Upton Park:
Daniele De Rossi
Yes, Cassano and Balotelli have finally been included, and hopefully Prandelli will give the two forwards some significant playing time in the Azzurri jersey. And the two other names which are unexpected are Inter Milan’s Thiago Motta (Italian/Brazilian) and Lazio’s Cristian Ledesma (Italian/Argentinean), who haven’t been internationally capped at senior level yet. Naturalizing these two players and inserting Cassano and Balotelli into the Italian team is a step forward which puts younger players into the cycle.
As for how Prandelli’s Italy will play, the coach revealed to La Gazzetta Dello Sport that he will be basing the team on a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-2-1. Prandelli wants to always use width and to play with enthusiasm, courage, and equilibrium. Prandelli believes that Cassano and Balotelli can play together, mainly in a 4-2-3-1 with Cassano behind the center forward and Balotelli on the left. And this attacking combination will certainly be more dangerous than Italy’s offensive system in South Africa.
As for the future Azzurri captain, Prandelli says that it will be Buffon, and when he’s unable to play then it will be either Pirlo (if he’s there) or De Rossi. Prandelli also said (regarding Balotelli’s possible move to Manchester City) that he will only call players who are playing for their clubs, it doesn’t matter where, and so he would rather have Balotelli play in City’s starting 11 than sit on Inter’s bench.
So with Prandelli’s Italy playing he Ivory Coast soon, we should see plenty of new faces, from Argentina, Brazil, and Ghana. What do you think about Prandelli’s new Italy? Share your thoughts below by commenting!
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Former Man Utd star Giggs goes on trial for assault
- Marseille win Ligue 1 season opener, Ramsey scores on Nice debut
- Lewandowski scores first Barcelona goal in Pumas rout
- Sundowns start season as they ended the last by topping table
- Haaland warns Premier League much more to come after dream debut
- RB Leipzig held at Stuttgart, Cologne defeat 10-man Schalke
- Haaland double gives Man City dream start, Man Utd beaten by Brighton
- Haaland’s debut double gives Man City’s title defence lift off
- Dortmund sign Cologne striker Modeste as Haller replacement
- RB Leipzig held at Stuttgart despite Nkunku strike