Connect with us

Leagues: MLS

Red Bulls Sign Thierry Henry

thierry-henry

It’s been rumored for quite some time, and today, it finally happened.

Thierry Henry is now an official member of the New York Red Bulls.

“It is an honor to play for the New York Red Bulls,” Henry said. “I am fully aware of the team’s history and my sole goal during my time here is to help win the club its first championship.

“Knowing Red Bull’s significant commitment to soccer locally and internationally, I am confident that my teammates and I will succeed.”

Henry is the latest European international to jump the pond and sign with a MLS club, joining David Beckham and Freddie Ljungberg.

Henry has had an eventual few months, ranging from his falling out of favor with Barcelona, his blatant hand ball that put Ireland out of and France into the World Cup and his role in that French team’s massive implosion in South Africa.

A fresh start seems to be in order.

So, what do you think?

Is Henry’s move to MLS good for the Red Bulls, good for him or both?

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
7 Comments

7 Comments

1. boaby

July 21, 2010 at 9:04 am

You write “Henry has had an eventual few months”. Methinks you meant he “has had an eventFUL few months”.

2. Edward Sasam

July 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm

It’s good for him, the team and the entire league actually…this will definitely boost MLS’s popularity worldwide.

3. Dan

July 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Excellent signing of course. I think what really matters now for NY to finally become the winning team that I feel the MLS needs is for them to sign Rafa Marquez, 2 great strikers don’t mean anything if you don’t have a strong midfielder to hand them balls.

Now it’s time for my Galaxy to sign our 3rd DP! Could be 2nd though since Landon is probably not staying in the next month.

• Gary

July 14, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Rafa Marquez plays in either the defensive midfield role or as a centreback, hardly the playmaker role that RBNY needs. Now, if Ljungberg were available, as the grapevine seems to be saying, then that’d be a totally different story.

4. AdamEdg

July 14, 2010 at 11:24 am

About time they announced it. Worst kept secret ever.

• Matt

July 14, 2010 at 11:27 am

haha no kidding. I’ve been 100% certain this would happen since Barca signed Villa before the World Cup. I’ve never been a huge fan of Henry, but I am definitely excited for him signing with Red Bulls. It will be good for both parties

5. Dave Trotter

July 14, 2010 at 10:25 am

Looks like I will have to watch the MLS now, somewhat.