While it was tough to see the USA get eliminated on Saturday Afternoon from the World Cup we should be fortunate to see that Major League Soccer is back in action from their two week break and for the New York Red Bulls traveling to Kansas City facing the Wizards.
Salou Ibrahim got the club on the scoreboard first and in the 55th minute Bouna Coundoul would clear the ball towards the Wizards side of the field. Aaron Hohlbein tried to head the ball back to keeper Jimmy Nielsen, but missed on the bounce and Salou Ibrahim got his head on to it and puts the ball into the net for his third of the season.
Then it would be the Juan Pablo Angel show as the two week rest gave him plenty of time to rejuvenate and showed the form he had in the pre-season before that nasty challenge by Julian DeGuzman of Toronto FC took him out. His first of the night came from a clearance by Coundoul in the 82nd minute.
As Angel had Hohlbein on him and near the net, he let the ball bounce and took a one time rip at the net which gave Jimmy Nielsen trouble and the Danish keeper took his right hand and accidentally deflected the ball into his own net. His seventh of the season along with a two goals to nil lead for the Red Bulls. But goal number eight would come inside the 90th minute for Angel as Chris Albright drove a clearance towards the near side of the field.
Once again Holhbein would get into the act and tried to get a foul called on Angel, but as both men fell down only Holhbein wanted a call. Angel got up and attacked the ball. Jimmy Nielsen came off his line to try and knock the ball away, but no such luck as Angel avoided him and slotted it home for his second of the match. Three goals to nil for the Red Bulls and the defender who allowed all three to go into the Wizards net was Aaron Holhbein.
Bouna Coundoul was tested early in the first half and made sure the clean sheet would stand till the end of the match. With this victory on the road at Kansas City, Kansas it would be their first win since September 10, 2005 but this would also be their third road win of the season and the most since 2007.
The Red Bulls have now surpassed their points total from last season going from 21 to 24 and continues to improve on the field with every single match. Their next match will be this coming Tuesday, June 29th as they will travel to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and take on the City Islanders in the third round of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup and then back to league action as they will head over to Dick’s Sporting Goods Park and play the Colorado Rapids in their annual 4th of July match.
The Red Bulls are back on the field and returning to their winning ways so far without their soon to be summer transfer window moves in 2010.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family