Landon Donovan scored a wonderful goal in injury time to beat Algeria 1-0 and to put the United States as the first place finisher in Group C.
In a very tense game where the United States had numerous chances to win the game but just couldn’t seem to get the ball into the back of the net, Landon Donovan rose to the challenge and slotted in a wonderful goal to make it 1-0 to the United States.
Over the 90 minutes, the United States team played well but were again the victim of poor refereeing. First, there was the disallowed goal by Clint Dempsey in the first half which was called for offside. Second, Dempsey got elbowed in the penalty box in the second half, but the ref failed to see the incident. It should have been a straight red, but instead the only red we saw was the blood pouring from Dempsey’s mouth.
The United States will now play either Germany, Serbia or Ghana in Saturday’s 2:30pm match.
What a game and what an ending. And congratulations to the United States who deserved to win.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more