After Germany’s 4-0 drubbing of Australia, many have jumped on the German bandwagon. After seeing their expansive football, Serbia and Ghana, who Germany still have to play, will be vary wary of Germany’s attacking play. What we could see is a tactic very similar to the one employed by Korea DPR and Switzerland against Brazil and Spain respectively, to stamp out the creativity of the likes of Mesut Ozil and Lukas Podolski.
Serbia, in their opening game against Ghana, lost 1-0 thanks to a penalty kick for a foolish handball in the area by Zdravko Kuzmanovic, and a red card to center-half Aleksandr Lukovic. Asamoah Gyan put the penalty away and Ghana took three points. Now, Serbia have a mountain to climb to advance from the group.
Against Ghana, Serbia lined up as follows: Stojkovic – Ivanovic, Vidic, Lukovic, Kolarov – Krasic, Stankovic, Milijas, Jovanovic – Pantelic, Zigic
Lukovic will obviously not start after he was red-carded against Ghana, and it is likely that Dortmund youngster Neven Subotic will start instead. Zigic will pose a physical and aerial threat to Germany’s backline, but he will be well watched by Germany’s Per Mertesacker, who is picking a fight with someone his own size with Zigic. Serbia’s main threat will still come from out wide with Krasic and Jovanovic. With Lahm constantly pushing forwards, the space behind him may be exploited by the pace and technique of Krasic. Badstuber, meanwhile, is much more defensive-minded, and will hold his position in the backline for Germany and will most likely be able to contain the threat posed by Jovanovic.
Germany thrashed the Socceroos 4-0, and did it in considerable style. The fluidity of their play throughout the midfield with Schweinsteiger and Khedira and into the front four, which include Ozil, Podolski, Mueller and Klose, is more reminiscent of Barcelona than of Germany. It will be interesting to see if – with the confidence that continues to build in the German camp – the Germans can maintain their stellar form against Serbia and secure qualification from the group stage.
Germany’s starting XI against Australia was: Neuer – Lahm, Mertesacker, Friedrich, Badstuber – Khedira, Schweinsteiger – Mueller, Ozil, Podolski – Klose
Klose schiesst – TORRRR!!
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family