Next week on ESPN, the sports TV network, will debut its brand new documentary entitled “The Two Escobars,” the story of Andres Escobar, the talented Colombian soccer player who was tragically murdered after he scored an own goal in the 1994 World Cup. The film investigates the surprising relationship between the murders of Escobar and his namesake, Pablo Escobar, the drug cartel warlord.
The haunting documentary debuts at 9pm ET June 22 on ESPN and for soccer fans is a must-see. The documentary is brilliantly produced and pulls you into the heartwarming story of how Andres Escobar grew up and fulfilled his lifetime dream of becoming a soccer player, as well as the incredible pressure the Colombian national team was experiencing during the ’94 World Cup, and the tragic circumstances that happened after Escobar scored the own goal that helped the United States advance to the second round of the tournament.
ESPN was kind enough to send me an advance copy of the film, and I must say that it’s one of the most haunting and memorable documentaries I have seen in years. I don’t want to give too much away about it so I don’t ruin your experience watching it, but rest assured, this is a film that you have to watch.
If you miss it on June 22, it’ll re-air again on Saturday at 10pm on ESPN Classic and on Sunday, July 4th at 1pm on ESPN2. But if you’re as mad of a soccer fan as I am, you’ll be sure to watch it tonight.
It’s not often that soccer documentaries are made. And it’s not often that stories as tragic as this one happens. Be sure to set aside two hours of your time June 22 to watch one of the documentaries of the year.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more