Connect with us

General

South Africa v Mexico, 2010 World Cup: Open Thread

June 11, 2010 - Durban, SOUTH AFRICA - epa02196328 South African street artists perform during a parade in Durban, South Africa 11 June 2010. The FIFA 2010 Soccer World Cup kicks off on June 11 with the opening ceremony followed by the tournament's first match between host South Africa and Mexico. Durban will host it's first match between Germany and Australia on 13 June.

Finally. It. Is. Here. The 2010 World Cup kicks off today with the first match up between South Africa and Mexico.

I’m picking South Africa and Mexico to draw in this one. Mexico should win, but buoyed by the incredible support of the South African nation, I think the South Africans will rise to the occasion and grab an equalizer.

Before, during and after the opening game of the 2010 World Cup between South Africa and Mexico, feel free to share your insight and opinions in the comments section below.

Of course, I’m particularly interested in seeing how ESPN does in terms of their broadcast. ESPN commentators today will be Martin Tyler and Efan Ekoku.

I’ll be at Wowies in Boca Raton watching the match. I’m looking forward to meeting you in person, so feel free to stop by. Wowies is at 7036 W. Palmetto Park Road, Boca Raton, FL 33433.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
20 Comments

20 Comments

1. dontcallmepaddy

June 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm

The quality has been atrocious on ESPN3.com for me so far. What happened? It used to be good!

2. Zachariah Granville

June 12, 2010 at 12:42 am

The match was fabulous. But south Africa could not hold on long.

3. Football Superstars

June 11, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Wow, kudos for picking the result! I thought it had Mexico 2-0 written all over it.

4. brn442

June 11, 2010 at 8:42 pm

It would have been nice to see the opening ceremony on english television.

5. Ray

June 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I convinced people to put this on Sirius radio while at work so we can listen to it and all I heard was people bitch about the “buzzing” sound in the background….yes the dreaded vuvuzela. I must admit half way through France v. Uruguay I have to turn the sound off the TV…I can’t stand it.

6. bradbelize

June 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm

we enjoyed this in Belize.
    Brad

7. David

June 11, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Was anyone able to see the game in 3D on ESPN3D?

8. whattagame

June 11, 2010 at 1:27 pm

what an awesome game.. both teams had plenty of chances to score late in the game, I was hoping South Africa could win it in front of their home crowd but it was a really exciting game.
    I cant wait for the Uruguay vs France now

9. chinatown red

June 11, 2010 at 11:48 am

ESPN Radio – What a joke – Liam Neeson talking about the A Team – The bottom of my ballsack is waiting for your to lick it ESPN – F**king Wankers

10. sothisonetime

June 11, 2010 at 11:41 am

usually veetle.com has a few channels that are streaming anything world cup related. it’s a toss up if you’ll find one that’s in your language though.

11. Oliver

June 11, 2010 at 11:41 am

espn360.com has been perfect for me picture wise since about 30 minutes before kick off. I’ve lost sound a couple of time, but a refresh has fixed that. I’m on comcast FWIW

12. CR7

June 11, 2010 at 11:02 am

Spanish site

seems to work slightly better than espn3 right now

• bradjmoore48

June 11, 2010 at 11:32 am

The steam is better at UnivisionFutbol, video quality wise, though it has started to get a little choppy the last 5 minutes. I fear giving this recommendation as too many people might overload THIS site’s servers.

I figured too many people watching at work on ESPN3 would become an issue, just like CBS NCAA basketball tournament website in March. I’ll just re-watch the ESPN feed that I DVR’d at home tonight.

13. 50

June 11, 2010 at 10:59 am

ESPN3.com coverage is terrible right now,I hope it’s not this overloaded the entire tournament….Hard to tune in,& terrible quality once you do,audio in & out……hope this is just do to it being match one.

14. chinatown red

June 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

Anybody point me to an online RADIO feed?? ESPN radio is apparently playing all matches but guess what? It ain’t happening. BBC 5live stream has not been cut but am expecting it to be at any minute.

15. xvx

June 11, 2010 at 10:20 am

Looks like ESPN3 doesn’t work right now.

16. man99utd

June 11, 2010 at 10:08 am

Here we go lads, 4 years waiting is a thing of the past. GO ENGLAND!!!

17. Eric Thornley

June 11, 2010 at 9:44 am

Glitches galore already. I wonder if the infrastructure is shoddy?

18. rej4sl

June 11, 2010 at 9:28 am

Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika

rooting for the host nation in this one – although on paper Mexico should walk it …. come on South Africa !!!!

19. CR7

June 11, 2010 at 9:07 am

Mexico: Pérez, Rodríguez, Salcido, Márquez, Osorio, Torrado, Franco, Vela, Aguilar, Juárez, dos Santos

No Hernandez or Guardado, this better pay off