The magic of Edson Buddle has continued out of Major League Soccer and into the US Men’s National Team. This new found confidence has given him and what we all expected out of him from his days with the Columbus Crew that started his career. Well whatever potion Buddle has drank in Los Angeles he has to spread it around with his teammates.
What a start for Buddle in the first half when he stole the ball from Australian defender Vincenzo Grella in the 4th minute and took a run. When he reached the Australian area he ripped a hard roofing shot that keeper Mark Schwarzer couldn’t reach at. His second of the match was a beauty when Steve Cherundolo was attacking down the near side and crossed a beauty of a ball towards the area & in the 31st minute Buddle headed the ball down and it bounced past Schwarzer for his second goal of the match.
Herculez Gomez converted his second National Team goal in second half stoppage time and gave the USA a three goals to one win & it was the first time in three tries the USA has defeated Australia. The amazing comeback of Edson Buddle has been a revelation to all of us who thought he was done for at the National Team level, but what he did at the start of the MLS season no one could’ve pictured this.
But at the same time no one would’ve pictured seeing Robbie Findley on this team who’s speed is a nice addition, yet experience is a bit suspect as well as confidence as he hasn’t been involved that much in International football on the senior level. We can say that he made a great pass to Landon Donovan that created the equalizer against Turkey in Philadelphia. He also had that fabulous chance of getting Schwarzer off his line and burry what should’ve been two goal to nil, but went wide of the near post.
Herculez Gomez was a good young player for both the Los Angeles Galaxy & Kansas City Wizards in MLS, but didn’t show his real potential till he moved to Puebla of the Mexican First Division. Now he has two goals under his belt for his international career, playing in his first World Cup and signed with CONCACAF Champions League Winner Pachuca joining his USA teammate Jose Francisco Torres.
There have been so many question marks with this World Cup side with a few exceptions of the usual suspects joining the roster like Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan and Tim Howard. Injuries to Oguchi Onyewu & Carlos Bocanegra & the sprained ankle of Jozy Altidore were a bit concerning, but during the friendly Rob Stone reported that Jozy’s ankle is getting better and light training is next.
How wonderful it is to see Buddle, Findley & Gomez come out of nowhere and give the boys and Bob Bradley a boost of confidence to form a solid game plan when they play their first group match against England next Saturday afternoon. Yes David Beckham was with Fabio Capello’s right hand man in the stands to scout the match and take notes, but just like any scouting staff notes won’t mean that much unless you execute the game plan properly.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar
- Premier League should be decreased to 18 teams, says David Dein
- Southgate holding England back from being world beaters
- Where to find Mexico vs. Peru on US TV
- Where to find Czech Republic vs. Portugal on US TV
- Where to find Spain vs. Switzerland on US TV
- Where to find Scotland vs. Ireland on US TV
- England relegated from top tier of UEFA Nations League
- Cristiano Ronaldo charged by FA over incident with Everton fan
- Spain women’s team players resign over issues with head coach