Chad Barrett unleashed a force which is a sportsblogger’s (writer’s) dream today. Not only did he produce 2 goals against the Chicago Fire, he produced instant corny material to be used in titles for articles.
On a more serious note, the performance put on by Toronto FC today was a combination of luck, hard work and a bit of skill. This is exactly what teams need to produce points that will carry them to the finals. The old saying goes, “You need to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good.” Unfortunately for Chicago, the Windy City’s premier football club did not fare so well in the fierce winds of Lake Ontario.
In a very short summary:
Toronto FC was both as Nick Labrocca put one in during the 24th minute with the very helpful wind when he attempted to cross the ball into the box.
The first half ended 1-0 for Toronto FC.
The start of the 2nd half saw substitute O’Brian White score to make it 2-0 on a beautiful Toronto FC play which ended with a very ugly finish. But as goals go…they all count, ugly or nice. Chicago Fire SC hit back immediately with Logan Pause’s rocket (also wind aided) from well outside the 18 yard box. Stefan Frei never stood a chance.
Finally, the oft-criticized (and praised from his backers) Chad Barrett netted a brace (for the uninformed, a pair of goals) to round out the 4-1 score for Toronto FC. The first of which came off of a pass from sophomore substitute O’Brian White and was finished by Barrett with a cool composure which has so often been lacking during his stay in Toronto. The second came off of a beautiful pass from Dwayne De Rosario combined with fluid movement from Chad Barrett. Again, Chad Barrett was calm as he finished what was an easy goal (but he has missed many times in the past).
Barrett played one of his best games in a long time and appears to be developing into a quality player under Preki. De Rosario had two assists during the game (White, Barrett). Toronto FC, again, looked completely different than the club which plays on the road.
The Chicago Fire will look to improve their performance from this unfortunate match as they move to take on the Kansas City Wizards.
Toronto FC will look to improve its road record as it makes the short trip up to Montreal for the Champions League Qualifier and Canadian Championship, as they attempt to win the Voyageurs’ Cup for the 2nd year in a row.
Next match for Toronto FC: L’Impact du Montreal – Toronto FC (Voyageurs’ Cup, May 12th)
Next match for Chicago Fire SC: Kansas City Wizards – Chicago Fire SC (Major League Soccer, May 15th)
Notes: Terry Vaughn had a terrible game with blown calls on both sides of the ball. Blown set piece calls against Toronto and an obvious penalty was missed which could have made the game closer for the Chicago Fire.
TFC Academy played Portugal FC after the TFC-Chicago Fire game in the Canadian Soccer League season opener. TFC Academy won 1-0.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Premier League’s most underrated XI in the 2021/22 season
- Marseille secure Champions League place as Bordeaux go down
- RB Leipzig win first German Cup trophy
- Ten-man RB Leipzig win German Cup final on penalties
- La Rochelle boost Top 14 play-off hopes ahead of Euro final
- Fiorentina beat Juve to reach Conference League, Atalanta out of Europe
- ‘Very happy’ Mbappe snubs Real Madrid to stay at PSG
- Lyon beat Barca to claim eighth Women’s Champions League
- Which countries are FIFA World Cup rivals?
- Rangers lift Scottish Cup trophy after Europa League heartache