Connect with us

General

ESPN get Rangers Assistant Ally McCoist for USA World Cup TV Job

Football - Hibernian v Rangers Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League

It seems the planning, preparation and excitement for the World Cup is hitting it’s full stride as of late as we enter into the last two weeks of the Premier League season. In addition to more exciting news from EPL Talk to come soon, ESPN just released it’s World Cup guide on sale everywhere for $9.99, Jurgen Klinsmann has been added to the already fine ESPN roster of studio analysts, and now Rangers legend and assistant manager Ally McCoist is set for a co-commentator job alongside Martin Tyler for the whole of the tournament this summer in South Africa.

Tyler and McCoist will join Derek Rae, Adrian Healey and Ian Darke as match commentators (with more announcements sure to come).

The return of McCoist to TV, his first appearance since leaving ITV almost three years ago to join Walter Smith at Rangers, will only be seen by World Cup fans in ESPN’s American network. Good news for McCoist though as England’s opening round match against USA is sure to conjure massive TV audiences stateside that will most likely make him and Tyler household names.

Does this move of placing the Scot McCoist alongside the Englishman Tyler further infuriate patriot’s who believe an American TV commentator should in someway be involved? As seen on The Gaffer’s story yesterday, the German Klinsmann joins a list of impressive studio analysts a mile long, with only John Harkes’ name included as the lone American for match game analyst.

In my opinion, I think ESPN has made the right decision. I’m not entirely concerned where commentators are from, only that they’re good and bring something of interest and importance to the broadcasts. And let’s face it, there are some damn good British commentators available with plenty of world football experience. I don’t need an American there just because he’s American. I want ESPN to provide to me the best commentators the world has to offer, quality production and stunning HD – not place unqualified, inexperienced commentators on TV that would ultimately put ESPN’s credibility at stake.

As far as McCoist is concerned, I wish him the best. I’ve not heard his match commentary much before, so feel free to leave a comment letting readers of EPL Talk know what to expect if you’re familiar with his work.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
  • Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
  • Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more

28 Comments

28 Comments

1. Chiavaio

July 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm

@Dave: What’s funny about your comment is that you can understand the English of a German and a Dutchman (for both of whom English is a second language) but are having trouble understanding someone who has been speaking English his entire life. Americans clearly need to hear more Scottish English. To my New York ears it is the coolest sounding English spoken anywhere on the globe. Mike Meyers’ fake Scottish it is not; Ally’s is the real McCoy–I mean the real Mc Coist.

2. Dave

July 5, 2010 at 8:34 am

A bunch of us got together for the England /Algeria game on Friday. You had a commentator with a name that sounds like Ali Macoista – no one in the room could understand what he was saying, so after about 20 mins of the first half a group decision was made to switch to Univision even though for many of us Spanish is very much a second language.
    I really enjoy some of the foreign explayers you have on (like Gullit & Klinsmann) but there really is no point in having someone like Ali that no one can comprehend. I dont know where he is from but he cannot speak acceptable English and on Friday he directly impacted your revenue. Check your ratings and see how the numbers drop when he’s on. I can’t believe that we are the only ones.

3. SantaMaria

July 2, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Even if you don’t understand Ally McCoist he is infinitely better than John Harkes whom you can uderstand but talks rubbish.Harkes has got to be the worst commentator in the World Cup.

4. nicolas

July 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm

i love listening to ally mccoist

5. Anthony Platt

June 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm

He really is a great commentator. He understands the game. He doesn’t miss a thing. And his accent actually adds intensity and spice to the game. I really like the job he has done. He’s a very sharp guy. Trained in commentating or not, he is trained in futbol. His knowledge of the game is superb. I have enjoyed listening to him. Hopefully ESPN keeps him there for games in the latter stages. I had to come on and say something because I just like the guy.

6. AllyIntel

June 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I love Ally Mccoist, legend and super commentator. Love his accent and sense of humour!

7. catskills

June 22, 2010 at 4:11 pm

i cannot understand a word ally mccoist says. his voice is getting hoarse and just making the matter worse.

8. Garth

June 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm

McCoist is the worst commentator, I cannot understand a word he says. I turn the sound off as soon as I hear him speak, its unbearable. Please ESPN take him off the air.

9. Hana

June 20, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Um…are you guys kidding me? He’s super easy to understand, and I really like the observations he brings, along with a bit of humor. This is coming from an American. Nice duo with Martin Tyler.

10. michele

June 17, 2010 at 2:51 am

Ally has to be the most frustrating person to listen to. Is he speaking English? He is impossible to understand.

11. cristina

June 16, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Ally McCoist commentator, wrong career choice!! I cannot understand a word this man is saying. I’m watching the world cup and cannot believe that this person was appointed to comment the games. All the respect for his previous achievements but this is not for him unless you use a translator along with. ??!!

12. gwolfe77

June 13, 2010 at 4:21 pm

“Jus a li’l bit…” I counted McCoist using this phrase 15 times in the opening game. I thought I was listening to My Fair Lady with Eliza Doolittle’s father singing “Jus’ a li’l bit o bloomin’ luck,” only it was a li’l bit high, a li’l bit long, etc.
    American listeners need non-Cockney announcers. Sorry.

• Chiavaio

June 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

Cockney?!

He’s not English!

13. Jon Grey

June 11, 2010 at 4:19 pm

he’s great but no one can understand a word he says outside of Scotland so probably not a good choice for this particular job.

14. Paul C

May 12, 2010 at 5:38 am

McCoist has been brought in to do the job that Andy Gray was supposed to have had if he hadn’t gone to Fox

15. d

May 6, 2010 at 8:03 pm

where did you find this info? It is not anywhere else on the web

16. Casey G.

May 1, 2010 at 3:11 am

The most i’ve heard of Ally McCoist doing color-commentary was from playing FIFA ’03 – FIFA ’05 so yeah, he does have a great tone to his voice so it should go well with Martin Tyler. Would love to know who they’re gonna pair Derek Rae and Ian Darke (esp) since i think they are great play-by-play announcers as well

17. OrangeCountyRSC

April 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Superb choice to have Super Ally commentating, the man is a living legend! We Are The People….53 and Counting.

18. Pucklusti10

April 30, 2010 at 4:05 pm

– that is just great news, adding super ally, not sure about his play by play analysis, i think he would be smashing from the studio instead but either way he is a good guy, funny as hell and just another sign of how espn is getting it right for this world cup…

19. tonyspeed

April 30, 2010 at 11:53 am

i am happy espn is doing this right. maybe america has finally moved past corny commentators who feel the need to explain the rules of the game in broadcast and compare everything that happens in the game to some american sport like basketball, baseball or football. broadcasts for fans, not dummies. 3 hurrahs for espn.

20. Kevin

April 30, 2010 at 10:30 am

I heard him in the old FIFA games alongside Jon Motson…thought he was good in those.

21. Erich

April 30, 2010 at 10:08 am

Gaffer – been meaning to ask you, any idea why ESPN did not get Jon Champion to do play by play? Figured since he does the play by play for their UK EPL telecasts that it would be a slam dunk. Really enjoy his announcing style and wish he was on the ESPN roster for the World Cup.

• Kevin

April 30, 2010 at 10:10 am

I assume he does work for ITV or BBC in the UK.

• Johnathan Starling

April 30, 2010 at 11:48 am

Erich,

Jon Champion is already under contract for the 2010 World Cup with UK Broadcaster ITV.

• Erich B.

April 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Thanks, Johnathan. Appreciate the input.

22. fastandy

April 30, 2010 at 10:07 am

When I first came to the US in ’86 from Glasgow, I happened to see a famous Scottish film on TV called ‘Gregory’s Girl’. To my amusement it was subtitled due to, I assume, the Glasgow patter and strong west coast accents.

This is how Ally talks…he’s gonnie need sum coachin’ man – an maybe some subtitles n’aw.

23. sean

April 30, 2010 at 9:46 am

super ally is a legend, he is mr football, sorry, mr occer lol

well done ally

Glasgow Rangers Champions!!!!

USA for World Cup glory, good luck to the states and in particular, Mo Edu and Damarcus Beasley, good luck guys.

24. Rod

April 30, 2010 at 9:13 am

As long as they leave Tommy Smyth off the air, it’s good by me. I’m thrilled to have Klinsmann and McCoist as analysts.