In the post-holiday season, Nike has upped its newest shoe campaign to honor one of the most decorated Italian soccer player ever and his international teams’ accomplishments.
The Nike Tiempo 94 cleat is a re-release of the original 1994 shoe worn by Italian World Cup team members, but of course with updates in the latest shoe technology. As its spokesman, Nike chose Paolo Maldini, the captain of the 1994 Italian World Cup Club that lost in penalty kicks to Brazil and one of the most famous defenders in the world.
The video above is part of the promotional campaign, honoring Maldini with current players (you can see the Italian version on the Nike YouTube Channel here). Additionally, Nike has made a limited number of shoes and will be auctioning off for charity the pair of Tiempo 94 that Maldini wore in the last four games of the professional career.
In terms of the video itself, it does an excellent job of linking a hero of the “past” with a current crop of players, who obviously are paying homage to him by wearing his shoe. I think the video could have used a shot or two of the 1994 World Cup just to make the link more obvious in the eyes of younger viewers, but the black and white footage is an excellent choice to add some gravity to the ad. I also liked the younger players speaking on behalf of Maldini, as well as the witty Pazzini exchange at the end. Contrast this ad with another Nike ad for Cesc Fabregas; while that one is more glitz and glamor the Maldini ad is classic and traditional.
As for the shoe itself, it is certainly fashionable. It has a classic look but weighs less than the original and is made with smoother material. It is not inexpensive, but the price is quite reasonable.
But what do you think of the Nike Tiempo 94?
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family