Connect with us

Leagues: MLS

FC New York: What Happened?

usl-soccer-field

Before I start, I will say. Yes, there is a chance that they’re working quietly behind the scenes to get everything sorted out, and that come April 2010 we may all look back and say “Why’d I ever doubt them?”, but it really doesn’t look that way at the moment.

When it was announced FCNY was treated as a big deal, MLS wasn’t in New York City proper, so it was treated as if it were the largest untapped market in the country. This new team was supposed to play in Queens, and continually talked up a possible stadium in the Borough, but we haven’t even seen a sketch yet. We heard talk of the team possibly playing some games in Manhattan at Columbia, and possibly some games at Icahn Stadium. They ended up picking Hofstra’s James M. Shuart Stadium, which has artificial turf and lines from about four other sports on it. On top of that it’s in Hempstead, and not New York.

This whole thing is starting to remind me of an old wrestling gimmick gone awry, particularly the infamous Shockmaster gimmick. Yes, I used to watch wrestling, and before anyone pipes up being smart, no, I don’t care. My point is that this whole thing looks like it’s fallen flat on it’s face to the point where it’s become embarrassing for the USL, so much so that you don’t really hear them speak of it. All the recent talk has been about the other expansion teams the USL wants to introduce: Baltimore, Detroit, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Tampa Bay. FCNY has sort of faded into the background, and some of it’s target audience have lost hope.

The team was introduced on April Fools’ Day, and it’s website hasn’t been updated since. Obviously it wasn’t a prank, they even had tryouts, but it is starting to seem like a joke. Word is the team plans to relaunch it’s website soon, maybe even this week, I hope that proves to be true. I don’t like to make fun of any team, really, but usually teams at least have a coach in place at this point, possibly even some signings made, and certainly in this day and age, a functional website.

For the sake of lower division soccer in America, I hope this thing pans out. I do. It’d be another embarassing blow if this team were to implode before it even got off the ground, especially after the bluster we saw back in April.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more

March 21, 2011 at 3:12 am

2. kimooa

June 17, 2010 at 3:49 am

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. coachie ballgames

December 4, 2009 at 2:58 pm

they totally got off on the wrong start. The underserved market is NYC, not the suburbs. No team would do well playing at Hofstra, what is the point? The ideal venue would be Columbia’s Wein Stadium. Near the subway, in Manhattan, nice-sized stadium, scenic surroundings.
    Icahn Stadium is not bad either, but it’s harder to get to, having to rely on the bus from 125th street, and it’s smaller.
    I also think KeySpan in Coney Island would be awesome as well. There are so many rabid footie fans who don’t want to trek out to Jers, having a team in NYC is a no-brainer. Too bad FCNY thought small.

4. sbstn

December 3, 2009 at 1:30 am

in North America, there are less foldings in more expensive leagues because they pick up the successful and stable teams of lesser expensive leagues.

5. sylc

December 2, 2009 at 10:09 pm

its a shame this never got done. icahn stadium wouldve been a perfect place for a usl1 team.

6. evan eleven

December 2, 2009 at 9:01 pm

forgetabout FCNY.
    now that the NASL is reborn a return of the NY Cosmos seems inevitable. i think the only question is whether they will play in NASL or in MLS… no way FCNY could compete with the Cosmos anyway unless they wanna try to be the Millwall to the Cosmos’ Chelsea… the Red Bulls can be West Ham i guess.

7. Jason

December 2, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Its. Not It’s. Its.

8. Adam Edg

December 2, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I kind of wondered what happened with FCNY. After high initial buzz the whole thing died. Some rumors are floating – rumors mind you, and I cannot recall where I read them – about FCNY being dead and another 2nd division team rising instead. This team would be a NASL club with the obvious Cosmos name. Probably just wishful thinking, but possible in this messy offseason.
    In minor league hockey they call this sort of thing the “Silly Season” since minor league foldings, moves, and changes are common.