Ireland’s loss may be football’s gain. Fifa may fast-track the approval of an additional assistant referee on each goal line in time for next summer’s World Cup in South Africa. This system is currently being tested in the Europa League. As we well know, on-the-spot human judgment is not perfect, but an additional referee positioned by the goal would have been in a prime position to spot Thierry Henry’s handball and could have helped unapologetic referee Martin Hansson make the right call. As evidence of this, take a look at the cartoon below which was originally published in The Daily Mail newspaper.
Others, including Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson, have called for the introduction of video replay into football. Many tradition-minded sports have incorporated video replay into their gameplay, including cricket, rugby union and tennis.
Now, what say you, EPL Talkers? Would you favor the full-on global introduction of an additional assistant referee on each goal line? Or the introduction of video replay for goals? Or would you rather the game remain policed as-is?
We should find out what FIFA’s decision will be after their emergency meeting on December 2nd. But until then, let’s hear it from you, the readers.
Share your opinion in the comments section below.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ