Connect with us

Aston Villa

ESPN2 TV Ratings For Wolves v Aston Villa Revealed

espn2-logo

It’s no surprise that last Saturday’s Wolverhampton Wanderers against Aston Villa tie didn’t garner a massive audience on ESPN2. In fact, it was the third lowest viewed match of the season on ESPN2.

Here are the Nielsen ratings for the Premier League matches televised by ESPN2 so far this season (from highest to lowest audience figures):

1. Liverpool v Aston Villa, Mon., Aug. 24, 3 pm, 398,391 viewers
  2. Wigan v Man United, Sat., Aug. 22, 10 am, 374,799
  3. Manchester City v West Ham United, Mon., Sept. 28, 3pm, 293,600
  4. Portsmouth v Everton, Sat., Sept. 26, 7:45am, 270,927
  5. Bolton Wanderers v Tottenham Hotspur, Sat., Oct. 3, 10am, 265,508
  6. Chelsea v Burnley, Sat., Aug. 29, 7:45 am, 253,934
  7. Liverpool v Burnley, Sat., Sept. 12, 10 am, 253,779
  8. Aston Villa v Manchester City, Mon., Oct. 5, 3 pm, 248,956
  9. Fulham v Hull City, Mon., Oct. 19, 3 pm, 209,207
  10. Aston Villa v Chelsea, Sat., Oct. 17, 7:45 am, 206,886
  11. Wolverhampton Wanderers v Aston Villa, Sat., Oct. 24, 7:45 am, 204,882
  12. Burnley v Sunderland, Sat., Sept. 19, 7:45 am, 199,380
  13. Chelsea v Hull City, Sat., Aug. 15, 7:45 am, 164,485

Despite the disappointing number of viewers for the Birmingham derby, the telecast still generated more viewers than Sunday’s match-up between Barcelona and Real Zaragoza on ESPN2, which had 136,352 viewers according to Nielsen Ratings.

The true test for ESPN2 will be this Saturday’s biggest game of the season for the Disney-owned channel when Arsenal faces Tottenham Hotspur in the north London derby which kicks off at 8:45am ET. Coverage begins at 8:30am. Arsenal plus Tottenham Hotspur in HD on a Saturday morning. Does it get any better than that?

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more

15 Comments

15 Comments

1. baffer

October 30, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Gaffer just to let you know Wolves v Villa is not the Birmingham Derby.
    That would be Blues v Villa. West Midlands Derby maybe,

Wolverhampton is in the Black Country.

2. man99utd

October 29, 2009 at 1:15 pm

3. Fan

October 29, 2009 at 9:44 am

Care to take back your “MLS is doomed” garbage now that MLS has outperformed the EPL over a two-month period?

• man99utd

October 29, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Fan,

Where’d you get your information on MLS v. EPL? Cheers

4. eplnfl

October 28, 2009 at 8:48 pm

The true measure of audience for the EPL will come once NCAA football is over. Saturdays become much less action packed once the college football season ends. The NFL will then have only playoff action which will be mostly in the late afternoon and evening. MLS will be ending in a month which will further drive soccer fans to the early morning ESPN game.

Let’s not forget that given the time difference that a lot of viewers are just going to remain in bed! This maybe especially so since some real soccer hotbeds in the far west, ie: Seattle, Portland, and LA would need to get up at 4:30am local time. That will keep your live numbers down but DVR use up. The seasons are changing and with winter near more people maybe remaining at home instead of heading out early but overall the early Saturday game will always remain a hardcore fans game unless a Big 4 match up takes place. With games on ESPN for instance I can watch from my local park gym in the morning instead of being tied down to a computer or tv, which further cuts the live audience.

In any event the game is great in HD at any time!

5. epl-reporter

October 28, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I wish i could also have a view of the gane in HD! It must be a marvellous experience!

6. v

October 28, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I have been pissed that Arsenal have not played a game on ESPN2 yet… can’t wait to watch the glory of the beautiful game played in HD, the way its meant to be seen.

7. srsmith

October 28, 2009 at 1:47 pm

ummm…. I have ESPN 2 This match was not listed on the tv directory for my service. If it had been I would have been glued to the screen. In fact, now that I find out it was televised on ESPN2 and I get ESPN2 and missed the match, I’m FURIOUS !!!! Who puts the listings on the matches on ATT U-verse?

8. nothap'n

October 28, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Another effect has to be the level of competition. One person I talked to mentioned he saw it on ESPN2 and it looked great in HD, but Barcelona was playing a no-name team with no-name players (his opinion, but he is the common fan in the US, I guess) so he lost interest and turned it off at 2-0. Aside from the top 3-4 teams, most of the La Liga matchups aren’t likely to draw a great following for 90 minutes.

9. Martin

October 28, 2009 at 11:11 am

I still have not watched a La Liga game on ESPN2, and most likely will not until it stops conflicting with the kickoff of the NFL on Sundays (so, likely January). I imagine that has a bigger effect on the ratings than anything else.

10. Hattrick

October 28, 2009 at 10:38 am

I think comparing an EPL game to a La Liga game is misleading here unless you can provide the combined number of viewers for the latter, which is available on ESPN 360 and ESPN Deportes as well as on ESPN2.

11. Martin

October 28, 2009 at 10:29 am

It actually could get much better, if Defoe and Modric were playing. Now that would be fun to watch. As it is, I think Arsenal takes it to the Spurs on Saturday (though I hope I’m dead wrong)

12. YourMom

October 28, 2009 at 9:12 am

Now this is a worthy post. Heavy on facts and figures, with a sprinkle of analysis, and viola!

13. The Guvnah

October 28, 2009 at 8:49 am

It does get better:
    Chelsea v. Man Utd.
    Man City v. Man Utd.
    Chelsea v. Arsenal

It would be quite telling to see what the correlation is between the advertising of the game and its viewership. Not to mention how time slots play into the ratings. Once could also examine how the recent MLB playoffs affected following-day games. Just the same, college football has had some big match-ups starting at noon or 3:30 and if I am tailgating… I wont be sticking around the house for an EPL match. I might ring a friend for a score update, but this is still America (the South.)

14. man99utd

October 28, 2009 at 7:14 am

Actually, considering the two sides the numbers aren’t as bad as I thought they would be. I do have a concern. Where have all the adverts gone. It’s as if ESPN is treating the EPL like the fishing/hunting it replaced. Can they really be all that concerned about growing a game they refuse to promote? Or is this all a lead up to the WC? I really hope that they stay in the game because their coverage is superb. It’s their attitude that troubles me.

P.S. Bring back Georgie B……