One week to go, and this is where we stand:
As the table stands now, this would be the playoff matchup –
Los Angeles vs Seattle
Houston vs Chivas
Columbus vs Colorado
Chicago vs Toronto
Remember, the first tie-breaker is head to head competition, not goal difference. The Galaxy have a superior record against both Chivas and Houston, so if they win their game Saturday against San Jose, and Chivas does not pick up four points from their remaining two games, the Galaxy will have won the west. This will represent an amazing turn-around under Bruce Arena, who was able to completely reshape the roster and turn chicken droppings into chicken salad in one year.
Seattle is in, and could still theoretically win the west. Even though they are fourth in the west, it is still possible for Seattle to win it, though it would take drawing an inside flush to accomplish it. However, Sigi Schmidt has proved his class this year by taking a brand new team into the playoffs, and considering how much tougher the west is than the east, it is a fantastic accomplishment.
Does anyone from the east want to go to the playoffs? As we head into the last game of the season, only Columbus has played themselves into the playoffs, and everyone else seems to be limping and staggering towards the finish line. As it stands now, even Chicago can get aced out if they lose to Chivas on Thursday and a couple of other shoes drop.
If Chicago and Toronto win this week, they are in. If not, anything can happen. The Revs, which has squandered several opportunities to make themselves safe, are now in the position where their fate is no longer in their hands. By their Sunday game at Columbus, they will know whether that game still has meaning. Toronto, DC United, Colorado and Dallas are all playing Saturday night, and none of them are playing each other, so they will all have an eye on the scoreboard of other games to understand their fate.
All will be revealed a week from now!
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more