After week 30 the numbers look like this…
|5 year comparison|
|WK 30||209 GP||YTD|
|YTD – 209 Games|
Here are the attendance comparisons to 2008’s equal number of home games(209):
|MLS Attendance – Equal # of Home Games|
|Real Salt Lake||15,773||77.50%||16,208||2.76%||13||76.04%||19,340|
|N.Y./N.J. Red Bulls||15,741||62.49%||11,861||-24.65%||14||47.09%||25,189|
My disclaimer about the capacity calculations – Additional disclaimer note: I factored in the Dallas game at the Cotton Bowl as 100% capacity of 51,012.
Week 30 games drew 13,954. A light schedule, 4 games as the final round of World Cup Qualifiers are being played. San Jose’s last home game was not a sellout. That’s a big surprise(at least to me) in that it was a win or go home situation for the Quakes. I can understand why the proposed stadium’s capacity is significantly under 20,000. No such problems in Toronto where over 20,500 were on hand. A so-so crowd showed up in New England, just about on average for the season which hasn’t been great. Chivas USA booked passage to the playoffs in front of a smallish home crowd of under 13,000. Perhaps, like myself they were in a pub or at home keeping track of the US Men, who were playing at around the same time.
|Week 30 Games|
|San Jose||1||San Jose Center Line Soccer|
|FC Dallas||2||3rd Degree – Buzz Carrick|
|San Jose||1||San Jose Center Line Soccer|
|New England||0||Revolution Soccer|
|Columbus||1||Columbus Dispatch – Crew XTra|
|Chivas USA||2||Chivas USA – MLSNet|
|Kansas City||0||Kansas City – Hillcrest Road|
So How Are They Doing?
|Points after 209 Games|
|Real Salt Lake||34||27||1.26||4||2/1|
|NY Red Bull||18||28||0.64||-23||1/1|
Playoffs: In: LA, Houston, Chivas USA, Columbus – Out: RBNY, San Jose.
Dallas eliminated San Jose while enhancing its own improbable run with a 2-1 win at Buck Shaw.
Toronto dropped 2 points at home when San Jose played spoiler with a stoppage time goal to draw level. This is a serious blow to TFC’s chances of making the post season.
New England fell behind on a freak goal and despite having a man advantage for much of the 2nd half, were unable to draw level. The Revs still control their own destiny, but have two tough matches remaining, against, the Fire and finishing against the Crew in Columbus .For Columbus, it’s a step closer to claiming its 2nd consecutive Supporters’ Shield and with it a berth in next year’s CONCACAF Champions League.
Chivas USA, who a few weeks ago along with New England had the advantage of games in hand, has made the most of it(unlike the Revs) and have a legitimate chance to win the west. They are level on points with Houston and LA and have a game in hand. After losing to the goats, the Wizards are only mathematically capable making it to the final 8. They’re down 6 points with 2 games to play.
A few weeks ago the fight for the playoffs was a crowded affair. Now with just 2 games left for the contenders(3 for RSL), the playoff chasers(pretenders) have only themselves to blame after a period of poor results …
- New England – 5 points gained from last 7 matches.
- DC United – 3 losses in a row.
- Toronto – 6 points gained from last 7 matches.
- Salt Lake – 1 point gained from last 3 matches.
- Kansas City – 2 points gained from last 3 matches.
And then there’s Dallas, who have earned 13 points in its last 6 matches. Gotta admit, I’m pulling for them.
|Playoff Contenders Remaining Schedule||Points|
|Real Salt Lake||34||NY||TFC||COL||26||8|
|shaded = away game|
Top 3 tiebreakers.(MLS 2009 Rules of Competition)
- The highest position shall be awarded to the team with the better win/loss record in current regular season games against all other teams equal in points. (head-to-head competition)
- If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the greater goal difference against all other teams during the regular season. (goal differential)
- If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team scoring the greatest number of total goals against all other teams during the regular season. (total goals)
- FC Dallas has no lost at home in 7(6 wins).
- RBNY is winless on the road.
- TFC has not lost home in 6 straight.
- Colorado and TFC have not won on the road in 7 straight.
- RSL is unbeaten in 8 home games.
- Seattle is scoreless in last 4 home games.
- Chicago is winless in 5(3 draws).
MLS Throw Ins
After the Portland Timbers were knocked out of the USL-1 playoffs, DC United signed former San Jose and Los Angeles GK Steve Cronin on a transfer for the last 2 games of the season.
The Dynamo defeated Mexican Primera club Monterrey in the first annual Charities Cup at Robertson Stadium.
MLS In CONCACAF Champions League
In Group A, Houston lost at home to Pachuca. They need help in the last match to move on. Árabe Unido will have to lose on its visit to Pachuca while Houston must win at Metapan. Houston holds the tiebreaker over Árabe Unido. DC United stayed strong in Group B this week, with a win over San Juan Jabloteh(T&T). They also hold the tiebreaker advantage over Marathón. Columbus lost to group leaders Cruz Azul, ending its long undefeated(all competitions) home streak. For DCU and Columbus, advancement is in their own control, win and they’re in. Houston must win and Árabe Unido must lose in order to advance.
2.3 CONCACAF Tie-Breaker Procedures
In the event two teams are tied on aggregate goals scored at the end of Regulation time in the 2nd Leg (Preliminary Round or Championship Stage) or on points (Group Stage) the following tie-breaker criteria shall be applied, in order, to determine the winning team or ranking of teams.
Phase 2: Group Stage
- Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned
- Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned
- Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between the teams concerned
|CONCACAF Champions League|
|San Juan Jabloteh(T&T)||0||0||5||0||-11|
|CONCACAF Champions League|
|Group Game 6|
|Columbus plays Oct 20|
|DCU plays Oct 20|
|Houston plays Oct 21|
Columbus’ upcoming schedule is: Oct 17 MLS
DC United’s upcoming schedule is: Oct 17 MLS
Houston’s upcoming schedule is: Oct 18 MLS
USMNT/MLS Scheduling – FUBAR Once Again
On October 14 the US Men play their final WC qualifer at 8pm ET. RBNY play Real Salt Lake in Utah at 10pm ET. Is there a legitimate reason this match couldn’t be played on the 13th? Both teams had the weekend off. The situation has only this past weekend become mitigated with the US victory over Honduras, making this match meaningless for the US, although not for Costa Rica.
FIFA U-20 World Cup – US Fails to Advance
The performance of the US U-20’s in Egypt has resulted in quite a few articles on the state of player development in the US. Several mentions about the lack of an MLS reserve league. More on that later in the week.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family