Connect with us

Leagues: MLS

Russian Football Now Podcast Launches

RFPL_logo

With the Russian Premier League’s most important match of the season in the books, Russian Football Now’s Chris Riordan (also of MLS Talk) and Richard Farley took ten minutes to break down the result in their second QuickCast.

After their 3-0 victory, Rubin sits four points ahead of Spartak atop the league’s table. Each of Rubin’s “big three” (Aleksandr Bukharov, Alejandro Dominguez, and Sergei Semak) had goals while Spartak clearly missed the presence of one of their (former) big three, Vladimir Bystrov, who was sold mid-week to Zenit St. Petersburg. The podcast is available at Russian Football Now, and via EPL Talk.

We encourage our MLS Talk readers to support this new venture, as we aim to bring you the latest from the world of football from around the globe.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more

15 Comments

15 Comments

1. first_place

September 7, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Not even Russians are interested in the RPL, e.g. Abramovich. Why didn’t he make Spartak into a world power if the RPL is so great? Cuz the players with any sense wouldn’t dream of going to Russia. Heck, that level player barely even considers Manchester City acceptable, e.g. Robinho versus Kaká. Robinho only went cuz he’s krazy.

Moreover, I would wonder if official results in the RPL can even be trusted given the out of control corruption and organized crime in Russia.

2. ERT145

September 2, 2009 at 11:43 am

Chris, no offense but Portugal is not a lesser league. The UEFA co-effecient does lie because the second tier UEFA cup is factored heavily. Last season, two Portugal league teams reached the knock out stages of the Champions League while zero Russian teams did.

Porto also almost beat Man U and of course won the CL 5 years ago, much more recently than the most recent Russian champion of the European Cup/ Champions League.

• Richard Farley

September 2, 2009 at 12:37 pm

ERT145

Those are actually good examples.

As you said, the UEFA coefficient is not perfect, but neither are Champions League results. The groups are not balanced, and Zenit ended up in a group with Juventus and Real Madrid.

So what is it, though, specifically about the teams in the RPL and the Liga Sagres that leads you to that conclusion? Is it just the quality of the best teams? The next tier of clubs? The overall league depth and talent?

3. Chris Riordan

September 1, 2009 at 5:57 pm

One other thought. I feel that the Russian Premier League would be a great destination for many of our Americans who are making a move to Europe. It is a solid, competitive league (as evidenced by the quality of Russian National Team, where vast majority plays domestically). Perhaps a guy like Freddy Adu, could start there and really get some positive experience instead of foundering away on the bench in a lesser league like in Portugal.

4. Richard Farley

September 1, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I understand why people think poorly of Russian football, which is exactly why I’m involved in this project.

The Russian national team (6th, FIFA rankings) and the Russian Premier League (6th, UEFA coefficient) are each ranked amongst the world’s elite.

Isn’t anybody a bit curious as to why?

I was, and what I discovered made sense and explained those metrics. Whether you become a regular consumer of the site, I would invite you to at least be curious as to why this nation is internationally respected for its football league, players, team, and culture.

It does sound like some have preconceived notions of this topic, but if you don’t – if you are curious why Chris and I would start this project – you can email me any time and I talk about it with you. Whether you become a fan or not, I think it would be a good experience.

5. Kartik Krishnaiyer

September 1, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I just do not understand the discourse of many MLS and US fans. Some people accuse me of comparing leagues, but it is you guys that start it and make such absurd, and quite frankly offensive comparisons.

If you don’t like Russian Football don’t listen. Don’t tear down people because they have a passion for a league or a nation.

6. Chris Riordan

September 1, 2009 at 11:33 am

I have zero interest in getting into an argument with anybody here about this subject. Richard Farlery and I started the website and blog Russian Football Now. If you’d like to listen and support the show, we really appreciate it. If not, well then that’s okay too. We don’t want to force anyone upon anything. We’re just trying to share our love and passion for what is a very good league.

As for the comments on MLS, seriously think about what you say before you say it. For starters, I LOVE MLS. It’s the league of my country and I’m very proud of the recent growth that it’s made. However, I am not blind to where it fits into the big picture.

The Russian Premier League is ranked 6th best in Europe, behind England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France. The leagues has produced two recent UEFA Cup champions, CSKA Moskva and Zenit St Petersburg. Zenit even went on to win the UEFA Super Cup last year, defeating Manchester United. Currently 2 squads automatically qualify for Champions League group stage and 1 goes into 3rd Qualifying Round. Oh and en route to their UEFA Cup, Zenit defeated Villareal (SPA), Mar (FRA), Bayer Leverkusen (GER), Bayern Munich (GER) and Rangers (SCO). Not bad in my book.

As for the Russian National Team. First off, let me provide brief history of myself. I am American, my wife is Russian. Therefore, I support both National Teams. I LOVE the USMNT, was depressed for days after losing in Confederations Cup Final. I am also objective. Russia in current form, would take down the US, period. If you wathed the Euro last year, you would have seen them disassemble Netherlands, Greece and Sweden. I’m sorry, but don’t use the continental titles or World Cup Qualifying argument. Think about it, Russia plays in UEFA … the US in CONCACAF. Do you think we’d have any continental titles if forced to play in EURO at this point, how many World Cups would the US have made.

Conversely, Russia would have some continental titles and would not be in a WC drought if playing against CONCACAF teams.

Again, love my region, love my USMNT … just being honest.

7. Anthony

September 1, 2009 at 9:18 am

The Russian League better than MLS?

No way. Russia doesn’t have the TV interest or the history of consistently qualifying for tournaments that we have. We’ve made 5 straight World Cups. Russia has only been in two of them. We’ve won 4 continental titles. Russia has never won once.

I don’t get how you come up with Russia being better than MLS.

8. Pozinho

September 1, 2009 at 9:02 am

CIRE 55

Is anybody behind you aiming with a gun so you read this blog?

Why don’t you create the best MLS blog in the world and let us alone?

There, you could ban anything you want; until that day ,shut up.

9. Bolacuadrada

September 1, 2009 at 12:55 am

The Russian League is one of the 12 best leagues in the World. Zenit and CSKA Moscow have won the UEFA Cup in the last five years and the Russian teams always compete at a vey good level. The Russian league is better than the Mexican and the MLS Legues and is probably only inferior in quality to the big five leagues in Europe plus Portugal, Netherlands, Turkey, Ukraine, Brazil and Argentina. It is Ok to disagree as long as you do your research first.

10. soccer goals

August 31, 2009 at 11:55 pm

The podcasts are great, but I cant keep up with MLS and the Top 5 leagues.

11. Brian Zygo

August 31, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Considering the kind of money floating around over in the Russian Premier League, it’s not a bad idea to learn a little about the RPL and some of the players there, especially now that they’re migrating into EPL and other big leagues in Europe.

12. W A

August 31, 2009 at 8:42 pm

People can blog about what they want, but it is pretty silly to have an english language site on the Russian League. What’s next? The Korean League? The Malaysian League? The Kuwaiti League? 🙂

The Russian League is pretty poor anyhow. I do not recall them doing anything in Champions League.

13. CIRE 55

August 31, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Kartik continues to offend. Russian Soccer? When you attack MLS at least you are still talking American soccer, but this is ridiculous. Go blog about Russia somewhere else.

A third tier league. This isn’t the EPL or SPL for god’s sake.

Russia? the Dynamo and Crew would dominate that league although I am sure Kartik will claim that some random Russian team would come here and kill us. Do they have a Donovan, a Beckham, a Angel or a Montero in their league? I didn’t think so.

• Kartik Krishnaiyer

September 1, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Angel and Montero would struggle to start for many Russian Premier League sides.