Today, the bid committee for USA 2018/2022 cut the number of potential cities to host matches to twenty seven, eliminating eleven cities that had submitted proposals. The eleven eliminated cities are:
Birmingham, Cincinnati, Ohio; Fayetteville, Ark ; Knoxville, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, and San Antonio.
The elimination of Birmingham and New Orleans are of particular disappointment to me given they could have been utilized in a southern “pod” for one or two groups along with the remaining cities from Texas, Florida and the Southeast.
New Orleans, also could have provided a nice story as the city has made a remarkable recovery from the devastating affects of Hurricane Katrina, an event that did as much to damage the reputation of the United States abroad as the Iraq War or the 2000 Presidential Election did.
Minneapolis and Pittsburgh could have also been used in a Midwestern regional format. Part of the reason regions need to be considered is the expansive nature of the US compared to other bidders for 2018 and 2022, and the logistical issues associated with such an expansive nation.
The remaining cities in the bidding process are:
Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York, Oakland, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, St Louis, Tampa and Washington D.C.
What are everyone’s thoughts on the cities that were eliminated and those that remain in contention?
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Will FOX broadcast the World Cup in 4K?
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Man United on US TV
- FOX Sports to feature US Soccer float in Macy’s Parade
- FOX says US-England could rank in top 5 biggest games ever
- Umbro’s USA away kit better than Nike’s World Cup effort
- Man City vs Man United: TV coverage details
- Potter magic seals first league win as Chelsea boss
- Bundesliga in talks with private equity firms to sell media rights