Connect with us

General

Latest News From ESPN, Setanta, GolTV and Others

soccer-on-tv

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve had a chance to update you on the latest news stories affecting English football fans from around the world. So even though some of these stories are stale, most of them have not been covered by the blogosphere and remain topical to us die-hard football fans. Enjoy.

• GolTV will be airing the 2009 Peace Cup this summer featuring Aston Villa, Real Madrid, Juventus and others (PR Newswire). GolTV has won the exclusive TV rights in the United States to the 2009 Peace Cup tournament which will be played in Spain this summer. In its opening games, Aston Villa will play against Malaga and Atlante in late July (view schedule).
  • GolTV and Setanta Sports are now available on JetBlue flights (World Screen News). Note to self: When traveling on weekends in the United States, be sure to book a flight on JetBlue for Setanta Sports and — now — GolTV coverage.
  • ESPN’s soccer empire continues to grow (euFootball.biz). ESPN continues to buy more soccer rights around the world. This time it’s the Bundesliga rights for the Brazilian market. Plus, earlier this week, ESPN announced it would be launching its new sports network on UK TV this August 3rd. It’s old news for some, but it hasn’t mentioned on this blog, but ESPN also acquired the majority of the Premier League TV rights in Ireland earlier this week.
  • Showtime Arabia misses out on renewing Premier League TV rights in Middle East for 2010-2013 seasons (Arab Business). Showtime Arabia is one of the few TV networks around the world that shows every single Premier League match on television. Now they’re trying to find a way to show the 2010-2013 Premier League matches in the Middle East.
  • The Daily Mirror jumps on the football website bandwagon (Brand Republic). If at first you don’t succeed, try try again.
  • Setanta US remains optimistic that they’ll continue to be in business for the foreseeable future (Setanta US). “It’s business as usual and we look forward to the start of the new soccer season as well as providing our partners and subscribers with any additional information during the coming weeks,” says Setanta executive.
  • Bad news for the Premier League: JustinTV adds DVR functionality (TechCrunch).
200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
10 Comments

10 Comments

1. Chas

October 12, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I have a freeview TV with a viewing slot, a cardholder and card supplied by Setanta that I discontinued. Can I simply now join ESPN?

2. eslam adel

August 25, 2009 at 6:57 am

arsenal win the english primer leuge

3. Caterina

July 26, 2009 at 10:02 am

why can’t you lot show the peace cup 09 on sky sports or ESPN

4. carlos

July 20, 2009 at 2:03 pm

could one of you guys, let me know how good or bad Setanta-i video is? I used to receive FSC thru Dish network, but now I moved and I am stucked with WOW. The only choice I have to watch the EPL is thru the internet. But I have read terrible reviews about it. Your input is very appreciated.

• Adam Childress

July 26, 2009 at 11:02 am

I would just get the service for 14 bucks a month and if it sucks cancel it after the first month. Its always better to do it this way because so many variable go into on other peoples pc’s

5. mark

July 14, 2009 at 9:29 am

whats vigin media doing about getting espn .as allways they are so far behind sky tv.

6. Jleau

July 11, 2009 at 10:29 am

Thanks Gaffer!! Great blog, keep up the good work!

7. Jleau

July 10, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Sorry to keep asking the same question but what is the story with Setanta. The article yesterday seemed very certain that at least for the next year Setanta US would be on the air with the Prem, FA CUP, Carling and Champions League. Above it says optimistic. Did something change today?

• The Gaffer

July 10, 2009 at 11:03 pm

• TNeile

July 18, 2009 at 4:43 pm

“Jleau, no need to apologize. It’s a valid question. Nothing changed. I’m being quite optimistic as Setanta is, but there are still a lot of question marks about Setanta’s future and anything can change on a dime. The story is far from over, but for the time being Setanta are here to stay and will be bringing us coverage for the upcoming season.

The Gaffer”

It’s true that there’s no need for Jleau to apologize. I’ve also been baffled by what’s been going on. I cancelled my Setanta subscription last month (after having had the subscription for years) assuming that it was all over for EPL. I’ll gladly subscribe again if what you say turns out to be true, Gaffer. EPL is pretty much the only sports I watch anymore, and I watch it (and follow it) fanatically. Thanks.